1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1997 Chevy 2500 what to look for/what is worth

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mikelikesit, Dec 22, 2011.

1. mikelikesit

mikelikesit Junior Member
    from 44240

Hey guys,

Looking to buy a chevy truck. Mainly to replace my s10. I want a 2500 and I figure I want the ability to plow too.

Found this: a 1997 GMC, with 46000 thousand miles. Its the the plastic trim along the bottom, so I am assuming the rockers and cab corners are shot. It also has the 4l80e tranny. WHich is blown kid claims that a cooler line rotted off and it leaked coolant, now it shifts hard between 1st and 2nd.

It has a meyers plow on it, not sure what type it is though, can you tell from the pictures?

He is asking 4500 for it, I am thinking more like 3500, what would think about for price?

Chevy1.jpg

chevy2.jpg

chevy3.jpg

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

I can tell you its not worth $4500 with a bunch of rot and blown trans. I would offer him 3k max.

3. mikelikesit

from 44240

Thanks Gold Pro,

I have to see it during the day to see how it looks, i have only seen it at night. If the body is ok then I am thikning 3500. Tranny rebuilt will be about 1800. Running good it is a 5500 dollar truck not 6500.

I like your chevy. what year is it?

4. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

$3000 and no more

5. mikelikesit

from 44240

Thanks Superior,

6. THEGOLDPRO

For reference my Chevy is a 97 k3500 with 70k 454 big block, no rust or rot. real clean truck,full maintenance records. and i paid 4500 for it.

7. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

I would give no more than 3000 offer him 2500 cash to start and see what happens

8. mikelikesit

from 44240

Really 2500!? I guess I am not trying to make a friend right.... LOL

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Figure a trans is 3000+ maybe? Then what about any other lines that need replacing? Make sure you look underneath it good!!

10. mikelikesit

from 44240

Rebuilt is 1800

11. mikelikesit

from 44240

I am figuring about 1000 for new brake lines/fuel lines, tune up and brakes

12. THEGOLDPRO

Your best bet is to start low on the price and let him counter your offer, then you counter his offer. then he counters yours. then you counter his. Then you pay no more then $3k for the truck. Its pretty simple.

When buying a used truck thats been plowed with and has a blown trans you need to expect the worst, and try and buy it for as little as you can so you have some money left to fix whatever other problems the truck might have.

13. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I was figuring high, if it a plow truck for life get like an ATS trans. Try and find out bout the rear brakes too. It should be a full floating axle, most people wont take it apart to check them

14. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Crawl under it check the frame real good. I just sold a '98 GMC K3500 with 180,000 mi. Body looked good frame looked bad. Guy paid 3300.00 and was planning replacing cross members on the frame...

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Without knowing the condition of the body, or the age of the plow, it's just a guessing game. Is the rough 1-2 upshift the only problem with the trans? All other gears are fine?

16. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

You guys are high on your offers IMO, i would offer the kid $2k and i would not go any higher than $2500. Even then it better have good brakes and new tires. IMO the plow is nothing to brag about, i am not a Meyers fan. The truck will need a tranny, a kid was plowing with it!!! The body i am sure is rotted, pull back the fender flares and have a look. Check the intake gaskets, if they have not been changed they most likely will need it in the future, typical for the Vortec 350 if that is what it has. If the body is rough so is the frame so plan on brake/fuel/tranny lines. Remember this truck is almost 15yrs old, i do not care about the miles, i would figure every mile of that truck was pushing snow.

17. chevyman83

chevyman83 Member

I'm not sure what to tell you for a price. It sounds like a lot of headaches. Trans is bad how do you know the t-case and diffs are good? The price he wants is WAY too high IMO.

18. elecblu

elecblu Member

When he is asking 4500 to start with, I would walk away and not even negotiate.

19. mikelikesit

from 44240

Thanks Guys,

I saw it in the dark could not tell much.

I am going back tomorrow morning, I will let you know what I find out. I am going to start out at 2500-3000 I am bringing my mechanic to take a peak at it for me. He knows what to look for. I do not know all the common trouble spots for these.

I will let you know. thanks for all the help.

20. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

i would start at 2k cash, and go up to 2500-2700..........if the trany is no big deal why didnt he pay to fix it then sell it? he needs or wants the quick cash...I just bought a truck 2000 chevy 2500, they were asking like 5k -5500 i got it for 3 k.......I have to rebuild the front end, new tires, tune up, fluids, lights, brakes, still not sure what i else it needs, but when u buy a used truck with a blown anything you decrease the value by at least 30-40%. IMO. If it was runnning good you could run it threw its paces and find out whats what....When buying used trucks, i have found that waiting for the right truck is a good thing......i looked for my last used plow truck for almost 3 months.........i walked away from a deal over 500$ Im not gonna pay more than what i think its worth resale......if you want it then get it, your the one who has to fix it not us...