1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1997 4.3 v6 question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Gmgbo, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

I just picked up a 1997 chevy 1500 with a 4.3 vortech v6....it has a bad bottom end. Would a short block from an earlier year, say 1992, bolt up to the heads and intake manifold?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, the short block's will interchange '86 and newer but you'll want a '93-up Vortec short block since these have the internal balance shaft (smoother running) and the hydraulic roller camshaft.
  3. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

all the 4.3L from 87 and up had the hydraulic roller cam. The only thing that changed after that was the balance shafts and of course the top end. I know this because I used to drag race the 4.3L's back in the early 90's. went through a bunch lol. You will be better off though to stick with the later model 4.3's with the shafts though to make sure you don't run into problems with your timing cover/gears, etc and how they bolt up. Since you are putting a new bottom end in, you should consider doing some work to your heads... simple smothing of the casting flash etc. that you can at home.. makes a big difference, especially in the late model vortec heads, along with a good valve job will really wake that engine up! Those heads will flow good up to about .450-.500 lift, but will gain a lot on the .100-.250 lift range if you do some valve seat work. lol there I go on my tangents again... oh well, old racing habbits are hard to break. Good luck!
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2007