1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1996chevy leaking from everywhere

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Sealer People, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Hi everyone, Happy Holidays.

Ive got a 1996 chevy 2500 diesel (6.5)

2 leaks that are driving me nuts.

First is at the front of the truck, looks like a coolant leak, has the consistancy of coolant also, light in color & smells like coolant, however, the fluids are all fine.
    I took the truck in to the mechanic & the leak stopped after being driven.,
    they didnt find anything,, put it on a pressure test & it didnt lose any pressure at all.
    Prior to that, it was leaking on my driveway for 2 straight days.,,, I took it home,, and now its leaking again all over my driveway after its been sitting all day.

all other fluids are fine & at normal levels.

The second leak,,, im just noticing today.
    coming from the back of the truck, right in the centre, just ahead of the gas tank.
    the rear diff. housing is clean.

any thoughts of where these leaks could be from.

The leak at the back is a dark color & looks like oil, but smells like diesel fuel so Im assuming its a line now I think about it.

Any thoughts on the front ? water pump maybe ??

Thanks in advance.

Merry Christmas everyone.
  2. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

hello. try pressure testing the syestem when engine cold. when engine heats up, all the covers and gaskets expand thus creating a seal. these types of leaks can be a pain to locate. alot of big rigs experience these types of cold leaks when they sit without running. hope the best to your search and repair.
  3. gmcdan

gmcdan Senior Member

two leaks that are common and hard to see 1 is the seep hole on the water pump underneath it will drip and run down the engine until it drips on the ground , second one sounds like possibly a slip yoke seal from transfercase . oil will travel down the driveshaft before it drips . either way these are pretty cheap parts to replace and wouldnt hurt doing it even if they werent the culprit . preventive maintinance in that case ....
  4. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

I took it to another mechanic & he got me for a water pump/

the leak in the back, they say is a rear main seal.

big bucks to fix.

That sucks.

Thanks for your help guys.