1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1996 Western Plow need painting advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by scholzee, Mar 24, 2004.

1. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

I have a 1996 6 1/2 foot Western plow on my S10 Blazer. It has a type of powder coat red paint that is peeling off in chunks and starting to show alot of rust. I was looking for advice on stripping, blasting and painting the plow or am I better off having it done by a plow dealer. I do have decent compressor, junky siphon feed blaster, and cheap spray gun. I am not looking to get it perfect just decent to last some more years and prevent further rust, there are no holes or structural problem rust just fairly heavy surface rust. Thanks for all replies!!

2. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

sandblast it then repaint with a good quality paint. I usally repaint once every 2 years with rustolem spray cans and it holds up reasonlly good.

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

A coat of primer wouldn't hurt eaither.:nod:

4. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

See what a sandblasting shop would cost. I blasted mine with a 225cfm compresor and a profesional sandblasting unit. It still took a long time, alot of work and a big mess. If its not alot have it blasted and prime and paint it your self. My 2 cents

Last edited: Mar 24, 2004
  5. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

A little hint if you do it yourself... Use a torch and burn the powdercoating first. You a need oxy/acy setup not little porpane one. It will make the sandblasting process much easier and faster. Also cheaper because it will take alot less sand.

6. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Thanks thats a great tip never even thought of that and I do have an Oxy/ Acet setup I will give it a try when the weather warms up some. Thanks to all who replied.

7. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I had same problem with mine same age. I just hit with wire wheel on a hand grind. Then Sprayed it with Rusty metal primer and some red spray paint. I did it last fall and it still look ok. There no need to take off the old powder coating. You don't need a flawless finish the first stone driveway you do is going to mess it up any ways.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use some rust reformer on the rust spots after you clean up the rust. Then prime it so the paint has a good base to stick to. Make sure its over 70 degrees, paint drys and sticks better. Degrease it a couple of times too before any painting.
    I found "John Deere" yellow spray paint for mine. Shot the board front and back, let it dry a month. Then used black on the ribs and edges. Just remember can paint drys softer then powder coat and paint with hardener added to it (like Imron or auto paint). You have to keep up the paint coat or you re-visit rust.

9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

ever try having that line x stuff sprayed on your plow it comes in diffrent colors

10. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

Just painted my 96' last fall. Burn the powder coat, grid as much as possible, sand blast the rest. Coat the entire blade 2 times with rust reformer. I noticed years later, that the areas that I use it on lasted longer, so I coat the whole blade. I heat the blade up with a torch, and brush primer on it. 2 coats. I also found that the brush job lasts much longer, the metal is pitted from rust anyway, brush strokes are barely noticeable. 3 coats of red and a final spray clear coat.

The most important thing to do is wash your plow after you are done, and oil it with a synthetic lubricate (not WD40, a penetrating spray) use the entire can every time, store your plow inside if possible.

I have seen first hand the difference between a plow stored inside vs. outside- big difference in 3 years.

Line-ex or ryno is not a very good idea, or at leaast what I have seen. you can never elminate all the rust so it will sit under the line-ex and peal off. If you did it when it was new, maybe, but all the factory paint has to go

Last edited: Mar 26, 2004
  11. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Plowman45
    I have seen your posts before and I want to ask you a question.
    I don't want to offend you, but I can't figure out what your avatar is.
    It looks like a dog on a pedestal.
    Just wondering.
    Scott

12. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

it is a mack truck hood ornament, I have one sitting on my desk

13. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Duh................. Sorry