1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1996 lumina

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by goalie dad, Aug 19, 2003.

1. goalie dad

goalie dad Junior Member

I know this is not a truck but i need some my wifes 1996 chevy lunima after driving down the road the check engine light comes on and the engine races and wont kick down it has a 3-1 6 cyl

thanks Rick

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It sounds like a sticking IAC motor.You will need to pull the codes to verify the problem for sure.

You can remove the IAC,and try cleaning it,and the bore it sits in with some good throttle body cleaner,Ford's Tune-up Cleaner works excellent.

It is a small black round motor mounted on the throttle body near the throttle plate.It's about the size of a 35 mm roll of film.

If cleaning it does no good,you could try replacing it,but you would probably be better off spending a bit more to have it properly diagnosed.

3. goalie dad

goalie dad Junior Member

thanks i was looking a place to start

Rick

4. goalie dad

goalie dad Junior Member

turned out to be the tps

thanks Rick

5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Cool, glad you got it fixed. Im curious as to how you found out it was the TPS. Did you take it somewhere to be scoped and fixed, or did you just buy a TPS and put it on in hopes of that being the problem? Did you mess with the IAC at all? Mike

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Hmmm.....while the TPS willl cause the problem you describe,it isn'y very common on those cars.

Glad to hear it's fixed anyways :D

7. goalie dad

goalie dad Junior Member

i had it scoped and thats what came up so far so good

Rick

8. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yea, you did the right thing. Get it scoped and go from there. It can get costly just replacing part after part by trying to guess at the problem, and besides, thats not the right way to do it anyway. Hopefully you got it licked. Mike :)