1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1996 gmc k2500 safe load ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by diesellandscape, Nov 26, 2009.

1. diesellandscape

diesellandscape Member

I have a 96 k2500, running a boss 7-6 superduty, ezdumper 8ft insert & downeaster tailgate spreader. whats a safe load? i was thinking 2 tons, but i'm sure you have a better idea. I only have 5 contracts signed and a bunch out there. im gearing up fpr snow here in pgh and just want a 2nd opn. The supply yard i deal with gives light buckets.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I guess it depend somewhat on how far you have to travel with the load. Two tons on top of the insert and spreader is going to put you way over RAWR and GVWR. Is your GVWR 7200 or 8600?
  3. diesellandscape

diesellandscape Member

i'm not sure.
    trucks a 2500
    reg cab
    long bed
    6.5 d
    basic work truck.

Like i said Buckets are light.
    and i have timberens.

when i was using bag salt last year, on pallet got me thru my rounds.
    I think i'll be using more this year.

oh and my lots are between 3 miles and 15 miles from the supply yard.
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not sure what "buckets are light" means, but two ton is two ton. Your GVWR is on a sticker on the driver's door. Probably 8,600 with the diesel.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Two tons plus the weight you already have is WAY too much IMO
    Check the door sticker like 2cor said.
  6. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

whether considered a commercial vehicle or not, if you are squatting, you can get pulled over, and they can fine you for being over-axle or over-gross...seen it happen to farmers pulling trailers with fertillizer tanks mounted on...the DOT cops made a killing that day,,,
  7. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

GVWR rating: 8600 lbs. (w/o plow)
    Truck weight: +/- 6000 lbs.
    Driver: +/- 200 lbs.
    Remainder: +/-2400 lbs (1.2 tons) available to carry
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm guessing the plow is at least 600# and the dump bed insert is that much or better. Add the spreader, I'm guessing 1,400#

Leaves you with about 1,000# available for salt/sand. A half ton. I wouldn't put much more than a ton or so in that.

If you don't have Timbrens or Air Bags in the BACK, I would put some in. I added AirLift bags to my truck - 97 K2500 - made a huge difference.
  9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

You must have missed that part. :)

2 tons on what you already have will put you WAY over weight.
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I did miss that, but he didn't specify they are on the back. We'll call it a draw?
  11. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

you can add timbrens or air bags, you can load the bed up with "stuff" to the top, add a 10 ft V plow, too...i'm sure it will haul it all. but, can you stop it and handle it, SAFELY? there's more to it than "looks." i suggest you follow the ratings.
  12. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'd say you could maybe carry half a ton legally. I wouldn't put more than one ton in the truck though.
  13. diesellandscape

diesellandscape Member

thanks everyone.
    insert and spreader weigh up at 1100-1200 lbs
    maybe i'll just stick to one ton.