1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1996 Ford

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Vaughn Schultz, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys,

I have a 1996 7.3 PSD & have a problem. The truck at times will idle very rough, almost to the point of dying. If you watch the RPM’s they are getting way to low. If you put your foot onto the fuel pedal you can bring up the rpm’s and smooth it out. At times when driving the truck will have almost total loss of power on the acceleration, I can put the pedal to the floor and it will just chug like its pulling a 40K Lb trailer. The truck will S L O W L Y get up to about 30 mph and then take of like a rocket. At some points I will have no problems with it, other times you can hear the turbo working hard but the truck just has no power. After discovering this problem I changed out the fuel filter, air filter, pulled off the turbo intake and inspected it (turbo is working fine) At this point I seem to think it’s a fuel problem. Its very temperamental, one second the truck is working great then the next time you steep on the fuel nothing. Any ideas? :rolleyes:

Thanks guys

New FOrd.JPG

2. Vaughn Schultz

That should be STEP on the fuel :p

3. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Could it be the injection pump, I sounds like there isn't enough fuel getting to the motor.

4. Vaughn Schultz

Well thanks guys :nod: Turns out it was low on oil :p Never would have thought of that:dizzy: . Supposedly the fuel system is related to oil pressure. What happened is the oil filter got knocked lose and we lost some oil. Its all good now wesport

5. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

might wanna scan for some DTC's or pending DTC's powerstrokes 7.3 and 6.0 don't have injector pumps the injecters run off High pressure oil HPOP. maybe IPR or ICP sensor .you should also have a lift pump on your frame rail

6. mike psd

from pa

thats goods man save some major time . if you service your oil yourself remember to trighten with a with a filter wrench atleast 1 turn always use the copper crush washer too on the pan

7. Vaughn Schultz

Can you please explain that a little more ? Im curious but confused :dizzy:

8. mike psd

from pa

check your PM

9. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

huh? I would like more info on that as well, if you could.
    :confused: