1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1996 F250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by captfudd, Nov 15, 2006.

1. captfudd

captfudd Member

I have the rear main seal leaking on my 5.8 FI, should I just fix it or can I run with it?
  2. Plow_king

Plow_king Member
    from NJ

Just run it. Unless its REAL bad. If you fix it more than likely it will leak anyway. Plus it a lot of work for a cheap seal.
  3. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

How bad is it leaking?

I had a truck with a similar problem--would go thru about a qt an hour or so(plowing)-- it was a PIA in the middle of the night. If it is just a small leak-runs for ten minutes and you have a quarter size puddle under the truck--I would run it. Any more you have to wonder how much oil you putting on the ground! The truck I had was a small leak and then I tried one of those sealers--Big mistake-- thats when the leak went up to a qt an hour! When the truck sat for a couple of months the sealer stuff worked-- I guess it needed time! best of luck!
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you do tear it apart, spend the money for the rear seal driver / installer.
    You do it once and it's done! I tried to do it with just what I had on hand and I killed 3 till I got it right! If the seal is leaking it could get real bad real quick. Change it now and save your self the popped motor blues.