1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1996 F250 Tranny

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by paradise1229, Mar 2, 2010.

1. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

Can someone please help me out here?

I have a 1996 F250 XLT 4x4 7.3L Diesel not sure what the transmission is.
    There is a button on the gear shifter to put the overdrive on and off wants to blink.
    What gives? I have no clue.

2. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

It could be a bad connection.Does the truck shift normal? Might want to check and see if there's any codes the show up.

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

That means there is a fault detected by the transmission. It is into limp mode and should be locked in second. Really you shouldn't drive it.

You can disconnect the batteries for a bit and it should clear the codes and take it out of limp. Then drive it. If it comes back get it to a shop to have them scan it. A lot of failures with the E4OD transmission can be traced to a sensor going bad.

When the tranny is in limp mode the pressures are high and you can overheat the unit very quickly.

4. paradise1229

Shifting a little hard. I think I need to check the fluid level, and have tranny fluid replaced with new fluid and filter.

5. Andy's Beast

Andy's Beast Member

Probably a sensor, though check your fuses. Mine did same thing, shifting hard/blinking. Replaced a fuse and all was well.

6. paradise1229

Under the hood or in the cab? I know theres' 2 locations of those 2 boxes.

7. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

e40d is ur trans

8. paradise1229

Where did you find that fuse?

I took it to a shop today, Here are the codes:

P0113
    P1748
    P0236
    P0605
    P1746

What do they mean? They are all Greek to me.

9. GB350

GB350 Junior Member

P0113 - IAT Intake air temp sensor ckt high input Defaults to 15°C Open circuit, biased sensor, PCM, short to 5V. This code is telling you the sensor is reading out of range

P1748 - EPC EPC malfunction Circuit failure, PCM

P0236 - MAP Turbo boost sensor A ckt performance Uses Inferred MAP signal Restricted inlet/exhaust/supply hose, missing hose. common if your boost goes too high out of the "normal" range

P0605 - PCED Powertrain Control Module ROM error Internal PCM failure Internal PCM failure

P1746 - EPC EPC solenoid open circuit Open circuit, faulty solenoid, PCM

Do you have a chip or programmer in the truck?

I suggest trying Thedieselstop.com forum, it has a lot of valuable info and is a must for ford truck owners.

10. paradise1229

yes. Kc2006 Installed it before I bought the truck. Not sure which one it is. I use regular idle. It only gives me high idle as an option.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  11. GB350

GB350 Junior Member

I'm no expert but if it was my truck I would take the chip/programmer out and then have your shop clear the codes, drive it and see if it throws the same codes.

12. paradise1229

I'm on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts www.ford-trucks.com site.

I'm not sure how to take out the chip/programmer. The fluid level is fine. I'm gonna disconnect the batteries tomorrow plus check fuses under the hood then see what happens. It won't be getting to a shop till Wensday (the earliest I can get in).

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  13. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Check the main harness into the transmission. It is on the right side. Sometimes it is loose or has some corrission.

That's a lot of codes and I would agree to pull the programmer or chip out as an initial test. But I would still pull the battery cables as a very first thing to see what happens.

14. GB350

GB350 Junior Member

15. paradise1229

Thanks for the link GB

16. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

we used to have problems with ambulances with the E4OD. I think I remember something being said about the grounds on the electronic trans module somewhere getting corroded and throwing a code and eventually ruining the tranny. Dont know if this may be your issue or not