1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1996 F 250 Starter

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MatthewG, Oct 3, 2009.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Need to remove the starter from a 1996 F 250 as it wont start and I suspect it to be the culprit after doing many tests. I removed one bolt but am having trouble with the second. Furthermore, will I be able to remove the wires once the starter is unbolted? Everything is really rusted and I am having a hell of a time.
  2. Diesel Dude

Diesel Dude Junior Member

Most 7.3 starters required a 17 mm socket. A 3/8 ratchet and wobble extension work best. Should be three bolts in total. Dis-connect your battery. The large battery wire (5/8 socket I think) should come off without trouble. Sometimes its easier to cut the small wire (5/16 socket) and put a new eyelet back on it later,
    Gas engines require a good 1/2" socket. If it's to rusted or stripped cut the heads off with a torch. Beat the starter with a hammer and extract your bolts out of the bellhousing. Good luck. tymusic
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009