1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1996 f-250 ext. cab short box.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by IA Farmer, Jun 30, 2005.

1. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

I'm looking at a 96 f-250 ext. cab short box with a 460 V8, I was wondering if anyone plows with a similar truck or if this truck will have any problems plowing. I have heard that the front ball joints go out quickly when plowing is this true? The truck has 113,000 miles on it and 14,000 miles on a new transmission. Any help would be helpful. Thanks Kenny

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you can wrench your own truck it's about $150 for all 4 and some shop time to have them pressed out and in. Then you have to service the bearings and hubs ( clean, grease, reassemble ).The U joints may need replaced too
    ( about $75 or so for the 3 ). Keep everything greased.
    I would bet they have never been done on that truck. Fords last a while but plowing will shorten their life. You will get about 300 or more hours of plowing between services of ball joints and U joints.

3. soutthpaw

soutthpaw Junior Member

96 F250 repairs

Hi, I just bought a simmilar truck 2 weeks ago, I am a professional Mechanic and work for John Deere dealer FYI.
    I got a 1996 Ford F250, crewcab, shortbed with a power stroke diesel.
    here is what I had to repair
    **** all four ball joints were shot and it cost $180 for the parts, also if doing it yourself you will need a Ball Joint press, Harbor freight tools carries them for about $40 here is the one I got and it worked fine, it was the only model they had in the store http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38335
    **** all four tie rods Pretty easy to do you will need a tie rodn sperator for that about $250 for parts
    ****Prior owner had replaced both I beams at some point and also welded a brace from diff housing to left ball joint frame.
    **** new front springs on order $175 for a set from dealer part number FOF4tZ-5310R
    Also in the process of changing out all fluids to full synthetic... Synthetics make a big difference in cold weather also the trans instantly shifted better with mobile one synthetic fluid. (there is a bolt on the torque converter under the flywheel cover to drain that unit. i got about 14.5 quarts out as opposed to just 7 with a filter change and pan drain.

My truck was owned by a plow co for the last 83,000 miles based on the title, before that I dont know its history, but otherwise it is in good shape with no rust. it has a pro series western plow 8'6" with wings