1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1996 diesel good or bad ?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by blk90s13, Nov 13, 2010.

1. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

Looking to add a second truck looked at a 96 cummins 12V with 98k miles runs and drives real strong but the passenger side floor is shot and needs so
    me welding work I don't know if I should still go for it ? What you guys think it's worth ?

Regular cab long bed 4x4 diesel 98k miles 4speed trans limited slip 4:10 rear and its a 1996 one owner ( goverment owned ) Meyer plow mount and wiring along with a real old fedral 48 light bar ( permenant )

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

What are they asking? I'm thinking $4000 as is.

3. blk90s13

He wanted $7500 lolz, I offered 5k and was turned down

Now he wants my 5k again will try to get it under 5k with my taxes.

4. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

If it is just the floor that is soft then it might be the deal for you. Watch out for the brake lines and emergency brake cables for rot and sizure. This truck more than likely spent more time sitting around outside than anything else. Myself low k's are nice but it might open a whole can of worms too !!!

Expect to put everything new under the truck... Full brakes all four corners, exhaust and a radiator. Seems to me these are the things that will not last long when sitting around, from past experience.

So what is it worth??? The good news is this truck has great potential!!! Have seen many 10k plus in price and with some love this one would be a strong contender. Break the purchase price into components. The complete plow is worth 1000-1500 depending on the season so the truck would be 3000. Seems to be reasonable.

Also pull the trans dip stick and look for colour and smell for burn fluid.... If you get the truck then definitly get the trans flushed change the filter and adjust the bands. It would also be a great idea to increase in fluid capacity of the trans to keep everthing nice and cool.

I just picked up a 95 diesel auto excab longbox 4x4 with a 6" lift for $2500....

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

agreed, the 96 is the most desirable of that gen for the engine and nice low mileage- watch for fuel lines too- they rot near the front axle from sitting as does the hard lines on the block itself, plus the flex part that connects the frame to the engine will often crack from age and let in air.
    Factory has steel lines and the flex avail, but proper soft line will work fine (PM if you need more info).
    I will be having my set done up in SS next time as I did the brakes and tranny lines.

6. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

If I remember 96 was a P pump motor. Great engine. Sheet metal can be fixed cheap check under it and one tip. Never ever ever ever get a tranny flush on a dodge. Specially if u have issues. They run very small orifices and when u flush em its almost a guarantee to doom the trans. Got that from my own schooling at a auto tech class and also many transmissions guys I have met. Just change the fluid and filter. That truck would sell around here for 5 to 6k wo a plow

7. blk90s13

you are so right my jeep grand cherokee had a bad trans 2 days after a flush ( chrysler crap )
    and the truck did sell for $5500 but I wasnt gonna go that high on it anyway

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_964wt_650

8. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

Great truck depending on condition and price, if 3:54 plow in low and add a trans temp gauge. Thing will push alot of snow for little $ in diesel.

9. blk90s13

yea I love my 02 cummins its a monster