1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1996 Chevy 4x4 Dually. Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chazmanian, Oct 23, 2007.

1. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

I'm looking at 1996 Chevy 4x4 reg cab dually that the guy is saying is a 2500. It has a flat bed and its the short wheelbase deal. 350 Vortec and its runs out real strong. I didnt know they made a 2500 dually and it didnt say 3500 or 2500 on the fender or doors.

69K original miles. Interior is OK body is straight. 6 new heavy duty hwy tires. Brakes are good needs alignment.

$4500.00

Is that a fair price on that truck?

Now for the fun stuff.

Truck:$4500.00
    7.5 Western Pro Plow:$4100.00
    8' Henderson spreader:$3500.00

Istall the above on the Chevy:$600.00

Total cost of 1996 Chevy dually 4x4 with new plow and spreader:$12700.00 + Tax.

Yea or Nay?

2. santelikk

santelikk Member

I think the dually was an option on the 2500 cab and chassis.

3. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

I say jump on the truck, that seems like a very fair price. I would try to find a used plow and sander though and put that on it until you start making some money. you can always upgrade later. Just look for a plow that was only used for driveways or by a homeowner. save yourself some money.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I agree with the used part that the above poster mentioned.....other than that, show us some pics when you bring er' home!!!

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's because GM didn't. Something sounds fishy here. Why does the seller insist it's a 3/4 ton? Was he just mis-informed when he bought it and never bothered to check? Or is the title for the truck that he has, actually a title for a 3/4 ton? Start by asking the seller again and looking at the GVWR tag on the door jamb. It'll tell you the GVWR.

6. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

It is a 3/4 cab and chassis with the dually option.....

I have been scouring the state looking for used equipment and cant find any!!!

I found a 2000 model 1 ton 4x4 reg cab GMC Sierra 454 dually with 70K that already has an older western plow attached that works good....$12,800.00
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I would still need a $3500.00 spreader that will turn that $12,800 into over 16K!!:dizzy:

Want to Plow but dont want to go Bank-Rupt:help:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What is the GVWR on this 3/4 dually truck? I'd be highly suspicious of it being a "piece together" or "swapped VIN" truck... plenty of them out there...

8. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Get the last 8 digits of the Vin #, go to a Chevy dealer parts dept. They can plug the number/letters in and tell what the options where on the truck.The Vin # on the dash should match a Vin # on the door and the number on the tag in the glove box. Do a Car-Fax on it and see what comes up.
    On the Vin # there will be a K24R or a K34R . K is 4 wheel drive, 24 is regular cab 3/4 ton, R is 5.7L. 34 is regular cab 1 ton.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  9. GreenDuramax04

GreenDuramax04 Junior Member

I don't think you want to put a 7.5' plow on a dual wheel truck. If its a cab chassis you can get away with an 8' on a regular dually truck you should get aleast an 8.5'.

10. dmax08

dmax08 Senior Member

I wouldnt put anything less the 8.6 or 9.0 on the dually.. you have allot of truck there and it will handle it.

11. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

There was not a dually option on a 2500 truck, nor was there a shortbed regular cab 2500 or 3500. My father-in-law had a 2500 dually, but it had been scabbed together after being salvaged. They just swapped a dually rearend, dually bed, and adaptors for the front end. I don't think I would pay that kind of money for a truck, then push it over $12k with a plow, etc. I could find a decent 90s truck with a lightly used plow around here for $5-8k. Even that 2000 3500 seems kind of pricy.
    What rearend does it have, the dually pickup rear or the narrower cab and chassis rear? Are all 6 wheels budd style wheels?
    And the other comments are right, 7.5 is way too narrow a plow.8.5 is minimum for a C&C rear axle, if it's a truc dually rear you need to be 9 foot, or you could buy the ideal plow for a dually, a Blizzard 810.

12. Detroitdan

Let me rephrase that. $4500 is a pretty good price for a 96 with low miles like that. But you need to figure out what it is. Try to buy parts for something when you can't be sure what it is. And go buy a used plow for it, I wouldn't drop $4100 on a brand new plow unless you have a lot of work for it, and are in love with the truck and want to keep it forever. $4100 plow and $3500 sander isn't going to make the truck worth $12,700 to anyone but you. Or maybe to the guy who thinks that 2000 1 ton is worth $12,800.
    That 1 ton is a nice work truck, but it seems awful pricy. There is one for sale near me with a MM Fisher, new sander on a flatbed, beautiful truck with a diesel and only 26k miles on it. Guy has advertised it everywhere for $12,500 and no one will buy it because it is older and there are newer trucks for the same money around. I'd love to buy it myself, but I've already got a work truck and can't afford another one.

I can't believe the prices out there for trucks. Makes me wonder what I could get for my truck. I would be very surprised if I could get more than $5k for it. Maybe I should drive it out west and sell it for $10,000.

Keep hunting, there are better deal out there. And know what you want before you shop.

13. Detroitdan

heres a pic

Found this pic, when it was advertised for $13995 without the sander. I've seen it elsewhere recently advertised for $12 something, and I belive the sander was included. Even had it on ebay but it didnt sell. It shows up on Craigslist every so often. Beautiful rig with only 24k on it, said he set it up to use at his own parking lot for a dealership I think, has never gone anywhere else. All plowing was done by himself on his own property. There is a 9' Fisher not shown in this particular photo.
    There's a video link on the page too. http://nh.craigslist.org/car/437529057.html

1ton1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  14. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

The start-up for this new plowing gig has been hellish at best....

Heres where I think I'm at....

1996 2500 C&C Dually: $4500.00 (Local Pot Lot)
    5-7 Y/0 8" Meyers C series plow $1600.00 (E-Bay)
    Western Pro-Flow 2 spreader $1900.00 (E-Bay)

Still at $8,000 but the truck has new tires and low miles...I checked the Vin and it was in fact a 2500 C&C with the dually option.

There is a guy over at the classifieds with the cleanest 1996, GMC 2500 that I have ever seen. Simply perfect. He wants $9700.00. I would fly to Chicago and drive it home for $4500.00. I cant get hold of him.......

I have a 10K budget for good truck with a plow and a spreader.....A "Good" truck. Anyone in the western states region that would like to sell me something I'm all ears...And cash!payup

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Checked the VIN where?
    Would you pm me the VIN# for the truck?
    Again, what is the GVRW on this truck?

16. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

The VIN on the 1996 Chevy is 1GCGK24R0TZ133645

17. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

Found a 1992 Chevy half ton with a nice plow for 5K....Going to look er' over in the AM.

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

He wants the Vin for the 2500 dually. I'm with B and B, never heard of a 2500 dually from the factory.

19. santelikk

santelikk Member

That IS the vin for the 2500 dually. I pretty certain that was an option on the cab and chassis for the 2500. I don't think they offer that anymore. I would also be curious to know the gvw of it compared to a traditional 3500 cab and chassis.

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry your right I get confused easy. What would be the purpose of offering a 3/4 ton dually? Maybe there was but I don't think so. I know B & B will set us all straight.