1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1996 Chevy 1500 DIESEL

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowguy43, Nov 8, 2010.

1. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, my dad just picked this truck up for "fun" from one of his dealer buddies. It was traded in and they didn't realize it was a diesel so he got it for next to nothing.

Can you guys fill me in on this thing? What are some issues with these old 6.5's and are there fixes or mods that can safely be done?

2. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

You must go onto www.dieselplace.com and look under the 6.5 forum. There are a handfull of stickys at the top you should read. I spent 2 hours on it the other day and I dont own a diesel. These engines seem like they are pretty reliable with the appropriate measures done, pmd moved away from the engine, 4 inch turbo back exhaust and not murdering them with trying to make excess power. Good luck I have always wanted a 6,5 for some reason I guess I'm odd.

3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I love mine. It has been very reliable, best truck I've owned and I've had a lot. 6.5 has a poor rep, and I'd like to keep it that way so the prices stay low. As was stated above, the only real issue is the pmd, move it out of the engine bay and that fixes a lot of run problems. Mines been mounted behind the front bumper for years. When so-called expert mechanics tell you the 6.5s had injector pump problems, just smile and nod, because they are misinformed. The pmd was misdiagnosed as an injector pump for many years, probably on purpose because dealers would rather bill the manufacturer for a $2500 repair instead of a $400 repair.
    I have a bigger turbo, 4 inch exhaust and a re-flashed perfomrance computer. It will not compare to a newer direct-injection intercooled modern diesel, but it will run with a stock early D-max, Cummins or Powerstroke. I tow a big camper in the summer, and push an 810 in the winter, sander and sand in the back. She's a good ol hoss.

Pre-97s had some overheating issues if you don't watch it closely, I'd be especially nervous about that on a plowtruck. You can buy all the parts to change it to the 97 and up cooling, which has two thermostats, divided cooling for each bank, and a better fan and waterpump. Worth every penny. I've been pounding the **** out of my truck for about ten years now, I don't know if many other trucks would have stood up to the abuse.

4. plowguy43

Funny, I just read those stickys and my dad's truck has been stalling. He seems to think its because of the alarm (aftermarket/lojack) since when it dies he has to unlock it with the key fob, lock it again, then unlock and it will start back up. But he says it dies fairly often. I wonder if its really the PMD but his little lock unlock thing gives it time to cool enough to run again? I'll have to check it out next time I'm down there and see if its in the stock location and hooked up.

Too bad these things can't be hopped up a lot- I'd like to buy it off him and lift it. Its in REAL nice shape- Reg Cab long bed, Green with tan interior, power options, and only 100k miles on it.

Purchase price- around $1000 :)

5. Stik208

COME ON!!!!!!!:mad::realmad::angry: Why can I not find a deal like this anywhere? 4x4?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  6. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

Dan, alot of the so-called expert mechanics are right. The pumps on those trucks are notorious. During mt time at this dealer since 99, we have done about a thousand ip on these engines. We were calling in a couple pumps a week for many years. We still do an occasional pump job but not many since the dmax has come out in the g-vans. Yes we also had a slew of drivers that were done so I am not discounting your info, but to say that they were not uncommon is misleading.

Other major issues we saw regularly with these are lift pumps. I think delco stayed in business replacing those dam pumps. Occasionally we did an injector or 2 but not often. They are really a good stout engine if taken care of. I miss them in the tahoe sized suv.

7. D2 Cat

D2 Cat Junior Member

I'm wiring a Hininker 8' straight plow to my '95. Where is an easy place to tie in the 12 volt to a key switched circuit?

To the OP get the 6' extension and install another PMD down in the bumper snorkel hole. You can take a flat screwdriver and release the wiring clip off the PMD while it's still attached to the IP. Use a piece of wire to fetch it through the intake holes, clip on you new wire, relocate, and be done with it. I use velcro on the back of a home made heatsink to hold it in place.

8. plowguy43

stik208- He worked as a general manager of a few dealerships for years. He keeps in touch with the owners and checks their trade in's often. If he finds something he likes he buys it- I can't tell you how many deals he's gotten over the years (its part of the reason I've owned 22 vehicles myself ;) )

Its only a 2wd truck but he's just going to bring it to his house in Florida to tow a boat. If I bought it off him I'd seriously consider swapping a solid front axle into it and using it to plow.

9. Stik208

Now I dont feel so bad with it being 2wd. I swear if I had about 10g sitting around I would look for a nice clean 97-00 6.5, 5.7 or even the big hoss 7.4. I feel like a few simple things can keep the 6.5 alive for a long while.

10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

On my 2000 6.5 I grabbed the 12v switched here. The box is up under dash (you can see the parking break in my photo) It is the one that says DRK GRN the pin all the way to the right. So of those two red wires, the wire on the left.

002.jpg

11. D2 Cat

D2 Cat Junior Member

Philbilly2,
    Thanks, it can't get any simpler then that. A picture truly is better then 1000 words! Thanks again.

I'm also replacing the fluid tank on my plow. It takes a contortionist monkey to reach the bottom 1/4" bolts on that thing!!

I'm looking forward to getting the blade in working order.

Then I'm going to modify the truck mount for my 01 Dodge so I can use the same setup, however I have a Ranch Hand grill guard so I need to extend the spades a few inches.

12. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

The one on the right looks like it could use a little attention! :eek:

13. plowguy43

I was thinking the same thing....

14. Philbilly2

That wire was there when I bought the truck, you know, come to think of it, I don't know what that wire goes to. Knowing my luck it goes to the only thing that is keeping the truck from blowing up. :laughing:

15. plowguy43

Whatever you do, don't touch that wire LOL. I just checked out your dump, that's an awesome rig you got!

16. Philbilly2

Thanks man