1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1996 2500 HD - does it have a trans. cooler

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by RickO, Dec 25, 2005.

1. RickO

RickO Junior Member
    from Ohio

I recently purchased a 96 Dodge 2500HD. Did the HD come standard with a tranny cooler? If not should I put one on it? I will be plowing commercially.

Also, I'm considering putting Timbrens on the front. Would that be overkill? My Boss plow drops the truck a lot when I lift it.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
  2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

All auto trannies have coolers, most run through the radiator. Additional cooler is what you are looking for. I would assume it does.

3. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Look under your hood on the top by the grill,It should give you your option list

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Close, go open hood and look!! Look at the radiator is there two of them?
    Is there one in front of the other? There should be one with a radiator cap, thats your coolant for the eng. If you have two, the one in front (it's a little smaller) is your tranny cooler.

Timbrens or up grade your front springs too.. .

Last edited: Dec 26, 2005
  5. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

The Aux. tranny cooler would be to the right of the radiator. It would look like a small intercooler.

If the truck has the towing package, heavy duty service group (not ALL HD trucks had it), or if it has a CTD or V10...then it has the aux. cooler. :)

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

the CTD has 2 aux coolers- one next to the radiator and one is a can shaped thing with 4 steel lines going to it under the exhuast manifold.

Gassers MAY have an aux cooler next to the Rad, or on the frame for that matter.

Look at the build sticker (may not tell you) or get under the truck and follow the transmission cooling lines. If it doesn't have an aux cooler- yeah add one. A good addition is a large/extra capacity tranny pan too- expensive but than extra 2 quarts or 4 quarts makes a big difference in temps.

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The tranny cooler is in front of your radiator and it is almost as big. If you have to search for it you probably don't have one.
    There is a small 10"x 3" cooler down by the steering gear that your power steering cooler.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

And And of the power steering cooler, looking up from under the truck.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  9. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

SnoFarmer...that's not your tranny cooler in the first picture. That's your AC Condenser ;)

The aux. cooler on my v10 is to the left of the radiator. IIRC, that's where the coolers on most (if not all) 2nd Generation Rams (94-01 & 02 HDs) were.

The picture in the post directly above this is indeed the PS cooler.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  11. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

I see. Must be a change they made on the 98.5+ models then.

12. RickO

RickO Junior Member
    from Ohio

Tranny Cooler

Thanks for your pics and the trouble you guys went to. Yes, I do have a tranny cooler. I have what looks like two radiators the front one being smaller like you have pictured.

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The large black one is fore the air conditioning, just like Burning rom said. The trany cooler is in between the two. There should be 3 coolers, 1radiator, 2 tranny cooler, 3 air conditioning and it looks like the one for the diesels is on the side of the radiator, and the power steering cooler in tucked up by the power steering gear box.