1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1995 Tahoe versus 1995 GMC 1500/1978 1/2 Ton

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Tomas090, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Tomas090

Tomas090 Member
    from Maine

What are the differences besdie obvious body?

Are the axles, weight class, drive gear, wheelbase etc. EXACTLY the same?

Some say the Tahoe is not as durable for plowing?

I haven't owned anything but "lightweight" Jeeps since I had a 1978 Chevy Sport "heavy " Half ton, and these new half ton frames and drive trains don't look anything like the old 78

Anyone care to explain some of the differences in transmissions, transfer case, front/rear end, springs etc

I can't even find a diagram of a full frame.

The hook up for the plowside of the Fisher speedcaster looks like a toy compared to the long steel arms used way back in 1978

Thanks for any answers to this long winded post,

Is it improper to also place this in the Chevy forum?

2. randym99

randym99 Senior Member

Hi .I once owned a 76 chevy pu too.Now own a 99 tahoe.The two are nothing alike.First off the old truck had a solid front axle and leaf springs on the front along with a cast iron tranfer case and standard trany.The tahoe has an fixed center/indapendent frontend that is held up by torsion bars.The auto trans and tranfer case are Very light weight pcs and wouldn,t take much of a beating.Don,t get me wrong I like the truck.Rides nice,nice insides,and lots of bells and wistles but shes not the old work horse the other truck was.I do plow my drive with it using a snow sport type light weight plow.I have not had any troubles yet but the local dealer said ALWAYS use low range and DON,T spin the wheels any more than i have to.Hope some of this helps ya out.Any ?? just ask away and I will try and answer.Thanks for now Randy

3. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i would plow with the 78

4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Had a 97 Tahoe and can't say enough about how awesome that truck was to plow with. It plowed all my driveways just fine, pushing a Fisher 7.5 like a charm.

5. Tomas090

Tomas090 Member
    from Maine

Thanks everyone for your replies

Sounds like the Tahoe will do the few driveways I have to do, juts have to learn a little "Finesse" in my plowing habits

The old 1978 Chevy Sport with 400 and T 400 tranny just wouldn't stop, sounds as if you need to be a wee bit more careful with the 1995

I don't quite understand the part about not spinning your tires, sort of ineviatable unless I were to run chains, we get quite a lot of ice up here

6. randym99

randym99 Senior Member

I think all they were meaning was let the limited slip rear diff do its job and IF I get stuck just tow it instead of spinning the guts out and heating up the clutches in the rearend.Common sense really but the newer stuff to the most part won,t take the abuse the older heavy rigs took.Randy