1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1995 Suburban 2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dubeb31, Jan 3, 2006.

1. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

>Hey guys i was skimming through the want ad last night and came across a 95 Suburban 2500 for cheap money. My intentions would be to put a plow on it, and install my tailgate spreader and use it on commercial lots. Now is the 2500 suburban the same setup and parts as a 95 2500 P/U or do you think it is lighter duty? And do you think a 8' plow would fit comfortably on the rig?

-Ben

2. Caleb55

Caleb55 Member

SHould be the same as a pickup. As long as it's an 8 bolt you'd be fine with an 8' plow.

3. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

It IS the same as a 3/4 ton pickup. Is it a 5.7/350 or 7.4/454??? My best bud had a '96 454 vortec Suburban and the thing was an animal! Reliable and strong. Brake pad wear is only weak point.

4. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

454 makes my mouth water....

i will have to call the seller, but there's two of them in the want ad, one did have the 454 and i can just imagine the sheer amount of power...anyone would have no problems pushing snow with a 454 suburban, i'm looking at putting either a blizzard 760sw, curtis snow pro 8' or a fisher RD 7'6 on it...still undecided, any suggestions?

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

You can move just as much with a v6 as you can with a 454, it all comes down to traction, besides, with the price fo fuel these days you would have to own a gas station to want to even think about running a 454.

6. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Unfortunately neither the 454 or the 350 is a miser in these years. There is probably only a 2mpg difference between the 2. What the 454 does get you is the big 10.5 inch 14 bolt full floater rear...

7. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Iw ould think the suburban 2500 is better than a 1500 but not as heavy duty as a 2500 pickup becuase the body weighs more. and like someone above said there isn't much fuel mpg difference between a 454 and a 350, if your working a 350 hard it'll burn just as much fuel as a 454 being lightly labored.

8. I had a '95 Suburban 2500 5.7 with a Fisher 7.5. I ran the Firestone Steeltex Radials and a little ballast in the back. It plowed like a half trak! Never got stuck. When I got my '96 1500, I noticed the difference though it still plowed fine, Go for it.

9. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

I am sure that the frame and all the guts of the sub are the same as a 2500 truck. I would also think that the suburban's extra weight is in the rear (where the light pickup bed would be) so this is an added advantage for plowing.

10. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Just put the 8 footer on it. With the length, you need the 8 footer in the turns or you will drive through your windrows. I have a Tahoe and I drive through windrows on tight turns. Wish I had the 2500 Burban!! :cool:

11. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

hey plowva how do you like your blizzard? i'm was looking at the 760LT or the 760SW...i just know that the SW is lighter than the curtis snowpro i was looking at..the 760SW weighs in at like 596lbs which amazed me....the snow pro was like 690lbs...

12. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Dubeb31,

It has been great to me. No problems :rolleyes: yet and I have worked it harder than I thought I was going to. For a light duty plow, it sure is built well!!