1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1995 Silverado 1500 5.7L TBI 4*4

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by hurley2323, Jul 9, 2003.

1. hurley2323

hurley2323 Junior Member

I am getting ready to replace my 5.7L in my truck and was wondering if this year of truck came with a 2bolt or 4bolt main? I need this when i order my engine.
    Dan
    PS This truck is a 5.7L TBI :help:

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

All the stuff interchanges between a 2 bolt and a 4 bolt block. well except the caps, block, and the different number of main bolts that is........it dosnt really matter. A 4 bolt has a bit more beef but if you arent doing any racing or wild stuff a 2 bolt will be fine.

Are you just ordering a GM shortblock or geting a rebuild from a rebuilder or a new GM crate?

I believe you have a 2 bolt. BTW

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

You have a 2 bolt block, the 4 boltss started over 8500 GVWR. Id stick with a 2 bolt replacement,especially if you getting a long block,they make more power than the 4 bolts engines.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Itmay be a 4 bolt !

It just may have a 4 bolt in it.I have seen a few,all were extended cab 4X4's,with 4 bolts.They were all 1500's.Most were original engines.

Maybe the 4 bolt was used in the 4X4 ext cab and up trucks ?

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

:confused: What do you mean 2 bolts make more power than 4's? :confused:

Not trying to start anything I just must be misunderstanding you or something......

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

I know sometimes the trucks with HD emissions make less HP.But this is usually due to different emission items,and sometimes programming,like fuel and spark curves.

Don't think it makes a difference for 2 or 4 bolt.Is there something your not telling us John ?

7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

In those years, if I'm not mistaken, the trucks over 8600# gvwr had a different cam, thus producing less hp, but higher torque. Is that correct?

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

I don't know off hand what OEM cams were used,but I do know that the rebuilders all use the same cam for 2 bolt,4 bolt or whatever.Doesn't seem to make a difference power wise,and no effect on emissions based on the emission testing we do.

I'd take a 4 bolt if you can get it,and not have to pay any extra core charges.

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The 2 bolts make more power because the MD heads the 4 boltsa use do not breathe as well as the LD heads on 2 bolts.4 bolt engines are built to basically run WOT for long periods,so they have HD valves and seats,these are more restrictive . The newer vortec engines starting in 96 may be different.

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

Your right John,I spoke to my engine guy,the HD heads are different.HD seats,and bigger valve stems (3/8" vs 11/32").There is not a huge difference in flow,and should not make a difference for a truck engine which rarely goes over 3500-4000 RPM.

The cams are also different,the HD cam will make more bottom end torque,but less top end HP.

So if you want low end power and torque (which is what a truck needs),go 4 bolt.If you want top end HP,go with a 2 bolt.

I'd also ask the rebuilder to make sure he is using the right stuff.

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

Edit - double post

Last edited: Jul 11, 2003