1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1995 radio display dims when braking

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mrfiestas, Mar 6, 2014.

1. mrfiestas

mrfiestas Member

I noticed this first after changing the stock radio that didn't work for another stock unit that does work, the radio display almost disappears when touching the brake pedal and the parking lights come on at the same time. Also, earlier but not now, the radio display was at one point went into a flashing mode.
    Any ideas??

2. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Senior Member

You have a short between the brake and parking lights. When you press the brakes it is also causing the parking lights to come on. Either the radio thinks it is night time with the parking lights coming on. Or the draw is so much that it is truly dimming due to the voltage drop.

Check the rear sockets for moisture. Also the trailer connector could be iced up. Or the harness behind the tail lights could be frayed.

Does it happen with the old radio swapped back in?

3. damian

damian Senior Member

you have a bad tail lamp bulb, the brake and park filaments are touching and the radio is going into night time lights on dim mode.

4. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Senior Member

I've never seen a bulb actually do that, but it would fit.

5. damian

damian Senior Member

happens all the time. especially on old 1157 bulbs.let us know.

6. mrfiestas

mrfiestas Member

Well, now everythings back to normal. No more dimming of the display when touching the brake with parking lites coming on and the radio display not flashing either. After backing into snow piles my trailer connector was/is packed with snow but what would cause the radio display to flash??

7. mrfiestas

mrfiestas Member

I didn't do a thing