1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1995 Ford Powerstroke Issues

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SIWEL, Aug 5, 2010.

1. SIWEL

SIWEL Senior Member

I have been working on the 95-97 generation 7.3L for a long time, and I know my way around the motor pretty good, but my 95 is not spooling up like it should be. I am not looking to go on a wild goose chase changing parts and wasting money, so if you know of a problem you or a buddy had with the exhaust/turbo on this truck please help me out.

I have 2 thoughts of what it could be right now:

1. Blown turbo- truck is not blowing any black smoke though, which is usually a give away the turbo is bad.

2. Up pipes or up pipe gaskets.

Any thoughts?

Like I said before, I do not want to start throwing parts at the thing, I want to diagnose the problem and fix the issues. Thank you for your help everyone.

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

it sounds like your up pipes are loose and leaking.

3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

it may be your warm up flapper on the turbo is sticking. sometimes in cold weather mine sticks and the trucks a total pig until i drive a few miles then it seems to work.

4. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I agree with Sno Commander, I have seen a few trucks with that issue. Actually bought a 96 reg cab dually for a sweet price because he thought the motor was messed up, it was just a stuck warmup valve.
    Robert

5. SIWEL

SIWEL Senior Member

what did you do to elimante this issue from happening again?

6. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

You can remove the butterfly but in cold climates it extends warmup time. Go over to thedieselstop.com and do a search; lots of info about this and anything else you may need to know.

7. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

there is a plug with two wires under the turbo, unplug that...it controlls the ebpv (exhaust back pressure valve) but you will notice right away with a noisy hiss that sounds like 100 ball bearings in a coffee can

for not spooling up... most likely the up pipes, get under the truck, look for the connector from the manifold to the upipes and you will see soot, if no soot then look for silicone boots with holes on the top of the engine. a clean air filter helps amazingly and then the fuel filter are pretty basic things to give the truck more pep.