1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1995 F250 with 5.8 gas engine.. can it plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Andy96XLT, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

Hi all,
    I am looking at a 1995 F250 4WD with a 5.8 gas engine. The truck has 146000 miles on it and the regular cab. It already has a Iwestern 8ft (i bleieve) plow on it which works 100% Is this truck capable of doing some plowing of my driveway and some neighbors? I don't do it full time but like to make some extra money in the winter. Also I am not too familiar with this engine, is there anything specific I should look for? I checked out the truck and the plow does work, there is some cosmetic rust but nothing too bad from what I saw. I am a little worried about the engine and trans though, although it would be sold with a 3 month 3000 mile warranty. Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

A F-250 is plenty of truck for plowing driveways IMO.

3. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Hell yeah it can!

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=80957&highlight=obs+ford+club+for

If it runs, drives and shifts fine, then don't worry about it. Check the oil pan to make sure it isn't too rusty because they aren't easy to replace, but it's a great truck to plow with otherwise. The only other things to look at are the front axle to make sure there are no cracks (I've never had an issue and I've owned a bunch of these) and the rear spring hangers ger rusty.

4. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Yes, it will plow fine. Just keep an eye on the drivers front axle assembly, I had a truck like that (before i bought the 03 super duty) and I cracked the axle housing (the side that the differential bolts to) twice. Mine cracked on the drivers side on the bottom side where the u-bolt plate mounts. I had it welded and than a support bar to run from under the drivers side lower ball joint to the bottom of the diff housing. I also had the diesel in mine and pro-wings on the plow (Meyer) so maybe it was the extra weight but i have heard of this on more than just my old truck. I think it is due to the constant changing gears forward to backward causing the extra stress and the metal to bend and tear. Just keep an eye on it and stop fully before switching directions

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

awesome plow truck. 351 is a great motor. its a member of the windsor small block family - been around since the early 60's.

whats trans does it have? nothing to worry about with the manuals. there are 2 autos offered. a 3 speed C6, or the overdrive e4od. the C6 is bullet proof. the e4od is not as strong, but is reliable with regular fluid changes as long as it hasn't been overheated. i plow with the e4od and have no problems, but i take good care of it. if it is the e40d, just make sure it functions properly and then take it home and do a fluid and filter change for good measure. adding a shift kit and a temp gauge is a good idea, but not necesary.

what is the rear axle ratio? the 4.10 gears are ideal for plowing with that motor. they also offered a 3.55 gear which will get the job done, but not as good for plowing/towing. 3.55 gears will offer better fuel economy on the highway.

the front axle is a dana 50 - and the earlier posts tell you what to look for there. i always kept a spare front axle on hand just in case i had any of the problems mentioned. by the way, i have 2 now, but no longer own a truck with that axle so if interested, i'm looking to practically give it away.

for rust closely inspect - oil pan, rear spring hangers, radiator support, exhaust manifolds, and sheet metal.

got any pics?

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Awesome plow truck

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

It will work fine
    Make sure to check the frame

8. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

Any thing I should check out as far the engine? I thought I heard some noises when I started it but the car was not started for a couple weeks so that could have been normal. I just want to make sure there are no bad bearings or rod knocks but I have ever heard a blown engine before so I don't know what to listen for. I am a medium skilled mechanically inclined individual but mainly with cars and my explorer ha.

9. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

also, where specifically should i look at the frame besides what is listed above in the posts? are there any specific weak parts that are vulnerable to cracking? I am looking at plowing with this truck, hauling stuff when I need to (dirt, lumber, whatever) and possibly towing a car trailer with a 78 trans am on it. Thanks

10. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Dude, stop being so paranoid about this. If it's not rotted out, it will be fine.

11. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

Sorry but I don't have tons of cash to spend and although I can fix a lot of things myself I don't want to get hosed. I figured I could ask questions here before I make a big purchase. If I am bothering you that much, don't look at the thread.

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I meant it in a friendly, cheer up, jab your side kind of way. Sorry you didn't like my help. You did ask for ANY help and it would be appreciated.

That warranty sounds like it's at a mom and pop dealer....I'd prepare to get hosed.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  13. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

My apologies, I belong to quite a few forums and sometimes you can't tell when people are just being obnoxious:). It is a small very local dealership, litteraly 10 minutes down the road from me, but I figured with the warranty I would be able to get the stuff fixed if it went wrong right away. Its not a warranty directly through them, it is one of those nationwide aftermarket warranties.

14. RCSIndiana

RCSIndiana Junior Member

Great trucks. I have a 94 myself. Everyone has covered the what to look for items pretty well. Plenty of motor and suspension to handle plow duties. The first speed bump you hit you will understand. They are stiff on the suspension side.

15. brookline

brookline Senior Member

I absoultly love mine! I use it to do a lot of commercial plowing and works great. Keep it maintained and clean in between storms. Motor is great and has plenty of power. Usually get exhaust leaks from the manifolds warping but nothing major. I will be looking for another one in spring to add a second truck for next season

16. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

Here are some pictures, let me know what you think. If it turns out okay i may be picking it up on saturday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I went through and hit a bunch of parts of the frame with some metal wrenches and checked the oil pan. They seemed fine. The front axle looks brand new, no rust like the rest of the body (maybe replaced) also the cluster showed PRND21, so I am guessing that means it is a 3 speed not a four speed? Thanks

17. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

a few more pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

oh also, the bucket is under there because a brake line is being replaced and the two leak spots are 1 from a leak in the bed, and 2, from a trans hose that needs to be repaired, but I see exactly where it is.

19. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

How much? Doesn't look too bad. That bucket has me a little curious and I see a couple small puddles. The frame rust looks normal. That is a good plow truck. If the D for drive isn't circled it's a 3 speed C6. Good tranny. What shape is the cab in? Like rockers and floors?

I'd pay no more than $2000, but that's what it's worth to me.

20. brookline

brookline Senior Member

go through it and replace all the brake lines. The one in the pick of the driver side wheel well looks bad. Just had the same one bust last winter on me while plowing.