1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1995 F250 shaking coming from rear

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Andy96XLT, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

Hello all,
    I just bought a 1995 F250 with the 5.8 liter and e4od trans. the truck is only a week old to me and I just started driving it really. Today I noticed that the truck really seems to shake, and almost seems to buck a little bit. I thought maybe I needed some joints up front but now I don't think its coming from the front, I think it is coming from the back. It does not happen at all speeds, kinda comes and goes but happens steadily at 30-40 (really the fastest i have gone so far) This is my first real heavy duty truck so i am not sure how it should ride 100% but this does not seem quite normal to me. I am thinking maybe the rear drive shaft joint is causing this?

I did drive with the ebrake on a couple days ago for about 3 miles (I know I know, I am idiot but I did not realize it right away and the light on the dash was not on) could I have screwed something up with the brakes in the back that would cause this? The e-brake does still hold and the truck stops fine but I am trying to pinpoint what it might be to not cause any further damage. All help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  2. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

first I would check the rear tires, make sure you dont see any tread separation, or shifted belts. Check the U joints too

3. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

I will double check the tires but they are practically new so I doubt it would be them. I have been doing some research though and the U joint seems like a possibility. Unfortunately I would need to take it into a shop because I don't have a shop press :( Thanks!

4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

you got a hammer and a couple sockets? thats all you need to do a u-joint. i have done many like that from cars all the way up to mack trucks.

5. GBD

GBD Junior Member
    from Ohio

Yep, definitely sounds like rear drive shaft U-Joints to me. Exact same problem and fix for my truck last week. Look at them and see if there is rust and crud coming out around the seal of both of the rear U-joints. If its not the U-joints I might check your breaks to make sure you don't have one hung up because you did drive with them on. I would put money on U-joints though

6. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

if theres a driveline shop in your area, you could just bring them the shaft, have them replace the joints, and balance the shaft too if you want. As for replacing the joints, a friend of mine works for a driveline shop, and they dont use a press to r&r the joints, just make sure you dont hit or dent the tube when changing it

7. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

A hammer and sockets I have, and apparently one of my friends might have a press too as he has a motorcycle shop at this house. I think I may be able to tackle this project myself. It seems like the first thing to do is to change the U joints and see where that gets me. They are rather cheap anyway and it never hurts to put some new parts on an old truck :) Thanks everyone.

8. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i wide jaw vise with some sockets will work - but you need a big enough vise. i've taken hammers to u joints before, but i am much more comfortable with a press or vise.