1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1995 F150 high idle

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by icemancometh, Dec 24, 2009.

1. icemancometh

icemancometh Junior Member

Looking for some input
    i have a 1995 ford 150 5.0 EFI auto 4speed with overdrive

this part is new, when plowing the idle will spike as i try to change gears if i wait a few seconds it goes back down and i can change gears it doesn't do it all the time just a pain in the neck when it does.

its has done this part since i have owned it
    just after i fill the gas tank it wants to and will stall out and has the high idle but only for a
    minute or two then its back to normal.

any ideas for a cause?
    Thanks JR
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Could be the throttle position sensor. If it's a mass air flow system it could have crud built up at the throttle plate. It sticks till the spring over comes it. Make sure all the vacuum lines are on. Does it ldle OK every time you start it? Does not die a few times till it will finally idle?
  3. icemancometh

icemancometh Junior Member

it starts right up and idles ok every time

unless i am at the gas station, right after i fill it it is hart to start and will high idle and stall then after 30
    seconds its fine.

the last few times plowing high idle when changing from forward to reverse.

i will check the vacuum lines
    your suggestion of a sticking throttle plate sounds likely to me ill check that too.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You could test stuff but it will not do it when you want it to.
  5. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

First check for a vacuum leak at the upper intake gasket they tend to push out and create a leak, if that's good the clean the throttle body and idle air control valve with throttle body cleaner this should take care of the problem.