1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1995 f-350 with 460- gas milage question?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by turbo5560, Jan 3, 2008.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

looking at a 1995 f-350 with a dump box on it and it has the 460 in it with an automatic transmission. wondering what an estimate of gas milage would be. One person i heard said 7 and another said it would be more like 3. So i don't know, thats a big difference. I think i would buy it if i could pull a trailer and get about 7. Thats figuring that the trailer would be loaded, but the truck wouldn't be loaded.... (using the dump for grass collecting throughout the day). obvsiously less with a heavy trailer and a load on the truck. Any estimates?

2. KATTRANSPORT

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

Gas milege and the words 460 Ford and F350 shouldent be in the same sentence. I would expect around 5-7 but not be surprised to see less

3. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

I agree 5-8 MPG. You won't get 3 unless the truck and trailer are fully loaded, the truck has 4.56 gears and you're screaming down the highway at 80 MPH.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I drove 460 E-350's -C6 3 spd. Ambulances for 12 years. They carried near the weight limit in equipment. They got 8 mpg average. A slight bit less with the A/C on all the time. Putting fuel in them all the time, I just kept track of the MPG during shifts I worked. The 1988 Dodge squads we had were worse, the 360's got like 4 MPG with the A/C on. No one bought Dodges ever again.

5. Plowin@8800'

Plowin@8800' Junior Member

My '96 F350 Crew with 460 auto gets 8-9 no matter what in high range-Even with 3600 lbs in the back climbing 3000' up the mountains. Plowing in Low range (lots of backing up) I get 3-4 mpg. standard tire size and wheels, 3.55 gears, E4OD.

6. ronnie dobbs

ronnie dobbs Junior Member

Driving with a loaded trailer I would expect 5-7 MPG depending on if it is highway speeds (70-80 mph) or surface streets (35-45 mph), and plowing probably in the 3-5 mpg range. Thats why if you were going to use this truck daily and are worried about fuel cost, try to find you a diesel. I had a 97 f250 with the 7.3 and the worst mileage I ever got was like 10mpg but the truck ran for 36 straight hours plowing/salting. Even if a diesel is a little more up front, you have tons more power and better fuel economy and more durability over the long run.

7. dieselboy

dieselboy Member

Expect 3 if plowing. I have the same truck and thats what i got.

8. TEX

TEX Senior Member

if its 4 or 7 its going to suck either way. i wouldnt put MPG and a 460 in the same question. its just not going to happen.

9. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

My Dad's 91 gets about 5-7.

10. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

even at 7 it's cheaper for us then driving two trucks all day... one with dump trailer and one with mowers. Obviously its different for everyone, but for us two days a week we are about 30 miles from the nearest place to dump grass and such so it saves us time and money instead of driving two trucks. Also for mulch we can haul about 30 yards at one time now. I'm pretty excited about that. So far so good....

11. TEX

TEX Senior Member

and thats what matters if it works for you then there you go.

12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I bet you can figure out ways for the truck to earn it's keep. Roofers always need dump trucks to get rid of tear off material.

13. DOGHOUSE

DOGHOUSE Member
    from Alaska

I'm getting 12 mpg in a '94 with overdrive and about 9-10 in town.

14. Ogrebonz

Ogrebonz Junior Member

My '79 400M (in my '73) is getting around 8 mpg plowing and driving combined. Actually it seems to get about 8 mpg no matter what I do.
    Isn't it sad to think that the '89 Frieghtliner cabover I used to drive got 6 mpg hauiling nearly 40k lbs gross weight? Ogre.