1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1995 f 150 getting hottt!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by nickv13412, Mar 19, 2007.

1. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

hello all. i have a 1995 ford f 150 with a 5.0L and a Fisher 7.5 RD. I have had the truck get really hot on me while traveling with the plow on. I have found through much trial and error that it runs coolest with the plow relatively close to the ground and a straight blade. What im wondering is do any of you have any suggestions for slight modifications that would bring more air to the radiator. Thanks -Nick

2. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I have seen some that make air scoops that mount on the lift arm, but with a Fisher triangle out there your half way there. You could try running a cooler thermostat, but if your not getting the air I don't know if that will do much.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have an F-250 with a 5.8
    I had the same problem until I replaced the fan clutch and the Fan blade.
    Make sure you have the same rotation of the replacement blade.
    If you run down the highway at 45 - 50 MPH with the blade low and angled it will run at a normal temp. Run the heat on vent, high blower if the temp starts to climb. If you drive over 50 MPH it will climb very quickly.

4. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

Thank you very much guys. I have found that if i go over 50 it does climb very quickly. I probably wont do anything for now because i am putting a new plow on this spring and want to see how it behaves with that on. thanks very much for the suggestions guys!
    Mickirig, did you replace the fan clutch and blade with a heavier duty one? Thanks - Nick

5. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

My buddy's Ford ran so hot he took the clutch off, just ran a solid mount fan.

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I got a heavy duty fan clutch at Advance Auto Parts and the heavy duty fan blade at SummitRacing.com <--- ( I live 10 Miles from them ) Like I said make sure you get the right rotation of blade. Advance did not have the right ones in heavy duty.
    Make sure your cooling systems up to snuff too. Cleaned , flushed, Radiators not covered in bugs, hoses not collapsing, if the thermostat is old change it. Make sure you have the counter guy look it up to get the right heavy duty one. Someone may have put one in off the shelf without checking. If the right one was in it you will see what I mean about type vers others on the shelf.

7. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

Thanks very much, i was planning on getting it flushed out, but just had a storm. Thanks for the advice!