1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1995 Chevy 4x4 problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MSplowing, Dec 27, 2012.

1. MSplowing

MSplowing Member
    from Indiana

Have a 95 chevy half ton, 4wd is on the floor when i go to put it in 4 high it grinds real bad also when kicking it back to 2wd? I have been shutting it off to switch it over so it wont grind. The 4wd acts like it work half the time the other half it doesnt. While in 4wd it wont shift to overdrive but it does while its in 2wd And while backing up in 4 high it acts like its geared like it would be in 4low. Any one have any ideas? I'm at a loss with it. Thanks
  2. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

first check fluid levels; ie. tranny and t-case. I had that happen to a transfer case after running it low (long story). It continued to do the same things and ended up needing a rebuild. fortunately the rebuild kits are pretty cheap (300 for everything) and it just takes time to take it apart and push in new bearings...youtube and google are good resources for this kind of stuff,
  3. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Could it actually be in 4 low and overdrive is working? That would be consistent with the grinding symptom too. I'm not sure how things could get so misaligned that that happens but all the symptoms are consistent with the idea.
  4. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I had a similar issue with the 4wd working half the time. Turned out to be the actuator on the front axle that was bad. Your situation may be a combination of things. Sure sounds like a fluid issue also.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

4 hi is a quick snap of the lever aft (rearwards) one notch from 2 hi. Would not change any gearing in any direction of travel.