1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1995 4 door Tahoe actuator installation

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by elpescado, Nov 19, 2004.

1. elpescado

elpescado Junior Member

I need to install the updated differential actuator on my 95 Tahoe, but am unable to find any decent instructions on how to do it. It doesn't seem like it should be that difficult to do, but those can be famous last words.
    If anyone knows how, or knows where I can find detailed instructions I would be greatful. Also if anyone has any helpful tips (except to install the posilock system) that might make instalation go smoother.
  2. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

You just unplug it and unscrew it from the front diff. Just reverse to install it. It took me 10 mins from start to finish....Rob
  3. elpescado

elpescado Junior Member

Thanks! I was afraid there might have been more to it.
    Any good suggestions on where I can buy in-depth repair manuals for my Tahoe? (procedures you don't commonly find in basic repair manuals).
    I have the Haynes repair manual (generalized repair manual). I have used Chilton before when I had a jeep cherokee, and that wasn't very in-depth either.
  4. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

My advice is that you buy a new style GM frt.axle actuator kit. 1995 K trucks had a wax pellit style actuator. The new style actuator works much faster since it is a servo type unit. The new style actuator will screw in, in place of the old style but you have to install the supplied spacer first. The kit will also come with a new wiring harness. The end of the harness that goes to the new actuator is the easy one. Just plug in the respective harness connectors to the actuator, position sensor and vehical harness where they mate. Next you will have to route the other end of the new harness along the right side of the engine and up, over the transmission to the left, top area of the transfer case. Zip tie the harness away from your exhaust and front drive shaft. Next locate the three wire connector at the top of the transfer case . Find the brown wire in this harness connector and solder the single wire from the new harness to this wire. Insulate the connection and you are good to go.