1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1994 pre-psd turbodiesel?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by JDFireFord64, Sep 30, 2008.

1. JDFireFord64

JDFireFord64 Junior Member

hey guys, i was just wondering about a truck i saw at a dealer the other day, it was a 1994 f350 turbodiesel, non powerstroke though, the tags on the fender under F350 just said turbodiesel. I kno the powerstroke didnt start until 94.5/95 i was just wondering what exactly is this engine?, and is it as reliable as a real powerstroke? is it just a turbo 7.3 IDI? Come on ford guys show your knowledge!
  2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

are you saying that the all-knowing Jono doesnt know something about a ford? :eek:
  3. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

When I was looking for a truck i found a 94 with the pre PSD turbodiesel. I called my buddy who is a Ford Diesel mechanic, and he recommended that i hold out for a powerstroke. He said that the pre PSDs had been known for some injector problems and just didnt have the power that the PSD did. Not sure if this helps at all.
  4. TEX

TEX Senior Member

dont quote me but......i think one of the differences is the injectors were smaller and didnt flow as much, thus less power.
  5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i don't really know, but i'm guessing that the PSD has common rail and the turbo diesel has a pump??? the TD also probably has a Banks and the PSD a Garrett...... also if i was to bet i would say the TD is mechanical and the PSD is all electronic????? just guessing.....
  6. JDFireFord64

JDFireFord64 Junior Member

i kno dave, its hard to believe, but they only offered this engine for maybe 2 years making it pretty obscure plus there were 3 or 4 offered in a 5 year period making for even more confusion...but i figured when in doubt, make a thread and let the ford guys fill you in!
  7. TEX

TEX Senior Member

its not a common rail. it prob does not have an inner cooler either. its still a good truck that you can make a few mods to and have a really well running truck.
  8. 4wydnr

4wydnr Senior Member
    from N. IL

The truck in question is a 7.3 idi that came from the factory with an ATS turbo. The injection system is a stanadyne db2 rotary pump. The idi's are good longer running engines, they are a tad under powered compared to a powerstroke.

The injection system on the 7.3 powerstroke is known as the HEUI system. Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injector. The system utilizes high pressure oil to pressurize the fuel in the injector itself just before it is injected into the system when the computer tells it to. The main problem with the HEUI system is that the stock high pressure oil pump can only build enough pressure to handle about a 120 hp chip, then you have to add a secondary high pressure oil pump for more power.