1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1994 K2500 Diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sharpshooter77, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

O.k guys i know that i have been posting alot and asking about trucks and how good they stand up. Well I was going to buy a 91 Dodge cummins but the wants to keep the truck now . So i found a 1994 K2500 HD withe the 6.5 turbo diesel, has an eight foot diamon plow Truck was badied for most of its life the plow went on last year and we all know it didnt snow in the north east at all. The truck has 155,000 miles on it the fuel pump was replace a year ago had some recent front end work. Its in good shape other then needing a set of tires. No rust, Has a heavy duty tow package. Let me know what you guys think, The guys asking 6000 for it which isnt bad. I just hope this deal goes through this time .
  2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I love my 97. It doesn't have the power of a 2001 and newer diesel, but it has more than enough. I have very good acceleration with mine, and I plow and tow 10k. People will tell you they aren't a good motor because they don't understand them, but heres the real deal. They got a bad rap for injection pumps, when in reality the injector pumps very rarely fail. In fact a small electronic device mounted to the pump called the Pump Mounted Driver is usually the culprit. They are misdiagnosed, probably because the dealer gets paid $2500+ to change a pump under warranty, whereas the PMD is only about $450 plus labor. PMD is mounted directly to the pump in the intake valley and the heat will eventaully kill them. So, buy a PMD ($250 on ebay) and put it on a heat sink cooler away from that heat and it will live forever. If that 94 has a new one new, move it to a cooler and you're golden.

You can also improve the 94 cooling by changing to the 97 and up dual thermostat system. Works much better, old way cycles the coolant down one bank and up the other, so passenger side head gasket can suffer from overheating. Also pull the radiator completely out and pressure wash it clean. That's a must.

Don't expect to be able to soup it up and get Duramax horsepower out of it. The indirect injection and high compression limits what you can do. A stout built 6.5 with 18:1 pistons and an intercooler might pull down 300 horses, but most are only up to around 225 without engine work.

I could go on forever about the 6.5, but I won't. Go to Dieselplace.com and check the 6.5 forums. You will learn everything you need to know. And hurry up and buy that truck, you'll love it.