1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1994 GMC Sierra 1500 extended cab for Plowing?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cklap, Oct 17, 2011.

1. cklap

cklap Junior Member
    from WI

Hi,

I have an older truck that I would like to use for plowing, Can this truck be used for plowing my driveway? I was told that extended cab maynot be good for plowing, and I'm not sure why. But if its just for my residential driveay is this possible?

Thanks

2. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

The shorter your wheelbase is, the easier it is to get arund corners while plowing, takes extra 1-R-1 shifts to do a 3 point turn and a little extra time. A lot of the people here are pros who make a living in the winter plowing and thus time is money and the extra shifts represents extra wear and teat on the equipment they depend on for their livilihood.

The extended cab short bed truck is about the same length as a regular cab long bed truck I beleive. If you're driveway doesn't have too many sharp corners then you'll be fine with a 7.5 foot plow on your truck. Make sure to put enough ballast in the bed to help offset the weight of the plow out front and you'll most likley be just fine.

3. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

Absolutely, I have a 96 Extended Cab with 205,xxx + miles and I never ran into any serious mechanical problems. ussmileyflag

4. ScottyB.

ScottyB. Member

I just put my hiniker 8'2" on my "new" '93 GMC reg cab long bed 1500. I'm pretty happy with the way the plow rides. I cranked the torsion bars 4 turns and put 5-600# behind the wheel wells.
    My only complaint is that 90's Chevy's tend to run hot.
    I don't go long distances and I go 45mph or less and watch the temp...only a minor set back.
    I do my res. driveway and 2 others.
    Works great.