1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1994 Gm 2.5 Diesel Turbo- Any Good?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mowingman, May 26, 2001.

1. Mowingman

Mowingman Junior Member

I just purchased a 1994 Chevy 3500HD with the 2.5 turbocharged diesel with 200,000 miles on it. Have I made a serious mistake? All my friends say the GM diesels are junk. This rig starts and runs great. It was owned by a mechanic and was his wrecker. I am putting a flatbed on it for landscape work. It will be pulling a 16' utility trailer loaded with mowers. He said it uses 1 quart of oil about every 6000 miles.Was I crazy to buy this truck? Now that I have it, what would be the best service interval to prolong its life? All opinions pro or con would be appreciated.:rolleyes:
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have a '97 6.5 and mine runs good so far with just one little problem.The truck just died on me on the hiway a couple of times. butt I got that fixed under warranty.If you call a gm dealer they can tell you if your injector pump will be covered by and extended warranty like mine now is.Standadyne did a bad job on this part of the engine.
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman Junior Member

As a matter of fact, the previous owner said the only major work done to date was to replace the injector pump twice.:)
  4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The biggest issue with GM diesels from 94-00 is the injuector pump. But head gaskets and turbos are also known to die as well. The 6.5 has a usable life expentency of 2-300K. If it has been well maintained you should get the 300k. But in a wrecker I am sure there was alot of idle time as well as miles, so that engine may be about done. However if it runs good, keep running it until it dies.
    One question however, He said it uses 1 quart of oil about every 6000 miles.The oil change interval is 2500mi in severe use and 3000 mi in highway use. So he either didnt change the oil as often as he should have or was running a synthetic oil. If he was using synthetic, keep using it, that may be the key to this engine lasting as long as it has.