1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1994 Dodge Diesel

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MWS LAWN, Oct 5, 2003.

MWS LAWN Junior Member

Need a little advice. I bought a 94 dodge reg. cab, long bed, 5 speed with the cummings motor. I thought it would be a great plow truck, but when I called the western plow dealer the sales man said because I have the 4500 lb. rated front axle, that western does not requiremend a plow on that truck. He said that I needed at least a 4800 lb. rated front axle? What should I do? We have alot of snow contracts to service this year and would like to go ahead and start buying some plows. We are also putting a plow on a 99 superduty, but because it is longbed ext. cab w/ powerstroke they said I would need air bags?Thanks for your advice!
  2. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

I don't think you should have a problem. I have the same truck, with an auto, and we put a Blizzard 810 on the front this summer. The Blizzard weighs in at about 1,000 lbs, 300 more than an 8 foot pro from Western. My dealer said it wouldn't be a problem, as long as I run the correct amount of ballast in the rear. For an 8 footer, Western recommends 750 lbs in the back. You will probably have to put some heavier springs and/or timbrens in the front. I ordered springs from dodge for $140 each. Timbrens will get you around $175. I have no experience w/Timbrens in the front, but they have a good rap on plowsite. Wyldman should see this soon and give you some expert advice. Good Luck:salute:
  3. Santo

Santo Banned

No problem hanging up to an 8'6" plow.

You can add a leaf on each front side which will bring you to required weight and piece of mind.

You should see about an inch to an inch and a half in raised height max too.

No biggy.
  4. Clean Cut Lawns

Clean Cut Lawns Banned

Snoways are nice and light
  5. szorno

szorno Senior Member

We have a 94 and a 97 version of the same truck. We ar putting a 7 1/2 ' Proplow with wings on the 94, and still debating about the '97. There are a bunch of posts in the Dodge truck section about changing springs. There are about 4 different springs for the 2500 Dodge. Wyldman and John diMartino ar the reigning authorities. I am studying the posts to decide how to do my '97. do a Search or check with one of them. :salute:

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

I have owned both of those trucks neither had plow prep either both ran 8.6 proplows WITH NO PRBLEM don't give it a second thought!
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

The Dodge front ends are WAY underrated.You can hang just about anything off that front end.You may need to upgrade the front coils,and add a set of Timbrens.

See if you can read the front spring codes (little white tags on the springs),to see what you have.

If that dealer won't install one,then find one who will,or install it yourself.
  8. wyldman

wyldman Member

You will also need 6-700 lbs of ballast securely mounted in the bed to help pull wieght off the front axle.

Here is a pic of one of mine with 12 ft of blade on it.

9. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

I think you could get away with up to a 8ft plow with out a problem. Look into timbrens for the truck.:)