1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1994 Diesel 2500 Weird Trans Problem???

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Dig-it Landscap, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Dig-it Landscap

Dig-it Landscap Member

I bought a 1994 Dodge 2500 4x4 as a back up truck. It has 141,000 miles and is completely stock. I bought it with a blown trans. I put a remanufactured Auto in it and it shifts great. The first week I drove it, it bounced between overdrive and 4th alot. Then it started to stay in OD like it should at higher speeds. The last 3 weeks it has gotten progressively worse. At first it would not stay in OD unless over 70, then it wouldnt go to 4th until I was over 50, then 60, now it just has 1-3 and never 4th or OD.

This has me stumped. The fluid is full, all fuses are good, grounds are clean. I took to a trans shop and they said the new trans is in fine shape and its not internal, and it has electrical for 4th and OD. I paid for diagnostics, they said it was the Throttle Position Sensor. Just put a new one of those in today, still wont come out of 3rd.

Any other ideas? I'm tired of throwing money at this thing for guess and check! Especially elec. parts that can't be returned!
  2. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Check that kick down cable that is contected on the bottom of the linkage where the fuel pedal linkage hooks in on driver side front hanging off pump.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

On the end of the kick down cable trans side there is a small spring connected to it. Make sure it is intact and connected and the cable moves freely. Also if the trans shift points are late this is your problem.....

If the shift points are normal then I would suspect the trans temp sending unit. They are a known issue and keep the trans from shifting into OD when cold. Normally these are found on the drivers underside of the vehicle near the shifter linkage. Follow the trans cooler lines and look for a ball with two wires comming from it.

Hope this helps.
  4. jsyl7

jsyl7 Junior Member

my truck dosnt shift into OD till 55 and sometimes will also go between 4th and OD but its not an everyday thing
  5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

From a Different forum, this guy has a 1999 Diesel:

http://w w w.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344239

6. donjhart

donjhart Junior Member

Check the wiring harness to the transmission where it comes over the bell housing as Dodge stretches this very tightly across the top,which causes some of the wiring to rub thru.Sometimes the harness is stretched tight enough that heat expansion an stretching of the wires occurs pulling them apart inside the insulation.There is a wire tester that fits over the wire and can pinpoint a break in the wire even thogh the insulation is fine.Another area of wire harness issues is under the drivers side fender well on 94-02 trucks as this harness is stretched too tight.I had the saame issue you had and it was the harness stretched over the bell housing too tight causing the wire to short Hope this helps.
  7. bryanR

bryanR Member

check your TPS. if you google search youll find a couple of ways to check your tps and adjust it back to where it should be. i ended up buying a delete kit for my tps that way i can control where my truck shifts into o/d plus i have a lockup switch in my truck also.
  8. bh115577

bh115577 Senior Member

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

my 98.5 diesel was doing the same thing, tork unlocking, trany and tork both rebuilt,just installed, after checking everything, installed new ground wire from computer to the battery. working fine ever since.:mechanic:
  10. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

If its only the torque converter locking and unlocking check the switch on the brake pedal. Automatic transmitions instantly unlock the TC when brakes are applied and the switch ajusted to tight will make it trip over small bumps. Thats the best thing to happen very cheap fix.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You do realize it's only a 4 speed auto right?? You are saying it's going between 4th and overdrive, do you mean the converter keeps unlocking and locking??