1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1994 Chevy K2500 Power

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by DVF Land & Lawn, Nov 21, 2014.

1. DVF Land & Lawn

DVF Land & Lawn Member

The truck surges at idle for about 12 seconds and seems to be lacking power and acceleration. Previously to this I had my mechanic address a slight misfire situation with the truck. He said the timing was too high so he reduced it a bit. Now the truck is not missing but lacks power pulling my 4000 lb trailer. The engine is a 350 with 4.10 gears it should pull that with no problem at all. Even with no trailer behind it, it just doesn't have the umph it did before the timing was reduced. I would like to advance the timing a bit. My question is do I leave the engine running when advancing the timing? (by turning the distributor). Also which way and how far do I turn it? The sight for degrees above/below top dead center is totally worn out. The truck was plenty powerful before the timing was reduced so I am pretty sure that is the problem.
  2. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

I adjust the timing while running with a computer, or a timing light.
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Take it back have the mechanic do it. Fyi look into your timing chain
  4. DVF Land & Lawn

DVF Land & Lawn Member

The truck only has 44,000 miles on it so I would hope the timing chain is still okay.
  5. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Timing an engine requires a light or a computer as John Henry said. It's not a "feel". That's shade tree. Take it back to your mechanic who did not fix the first issue, instead hiding it with timing.

I'd also consider another mechanic
  6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

44,000 and it's a 94. So how many hours are on it? Regardless, if he moved it, there's a reason why