1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1994 chevy 3500 with unimount, wanting to upgrade

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by clydebusa, Mar 19, 2012.

1. clydebusa

clydebusa Member

As the title states I have a 94 Chevy 3500 with a unimount. Plow is robably close to the same age as the truck. Well I am getting tired of the plow lights being on the truck year round. Wanting to upgrade to a new or newer style. If you know or have done it please tell this Okie what to do. As you can imagine not much expertise in this area. Heck 2 winters ago when we had 2' of snow on the ground the shops with plows were closed.

50512_157797570937876_3977517_n.jpg

50512_157797570937876_3977517_n.jpg

2. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

If the headgear stays on the truck then it's probably an older conventional mount, not a UniMount. You can find both UniMount's and UltraMount's for that vehicle but you'll need the truckside mount and wiring in addition to the plow.

3. clydebusa

clydebusa Member

Thank you!

4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

that style plow is what they call conventional mount. the power unit and lights stay on the truck year round and you have quick couplers on the hoses. That would have to be older than '94. More like early 80's or older, depending on which blade that is.

If it's got three springs and five ribs and no shock, it's the old style from the 70's. If it just has two springs and four ribs, it's the standard steel from the 80's. And if it has a shock in addition to the springs with 7 ribs, it's a pro from the 80's.

There's no way to convert that to a unimount, if that's what you meant. (some people wonder about that, even if you're not).

5. clydebusa

clydebusa Member

Thanks, it has like 3 springs and a shock. I will probably just go with a newer setup. Ole truck runs good with 72k on it, so with a dump and spreader it is all I need. Looking at upgrading it over this summer. Thank you for your time.

6. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

cool. no problem. you might be able to get 500-800 for your old one.

7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I had a quick look on Western's Quick Match for your model vehicle and that says you can mount just about anything except the Wide-out. I would certainly recommend the ultra-mount system if you buy new or used. The last generation before ultra was the uni-mount. On that version the whole plow comes off the truck with the hydraulic unit and the lights but it's not nearly as easy to remove & install the plow from & to the vehicle as the newer ultra-mount. As far as using anything from the old plow you are out of luck. The only exception to that might me the headlight harness if you upraded to a uni-mount with relay headlight control.

8. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

nope, the conventional mounts didn't use relay wiring. they had the toggle switch to go from truck lights to plow lights.

9. clydebusa

clydebusa Member

Thanks for the replys, I will look for a ultra over the summer.