1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1994 Chevy 3/4. Nice V-Plow. Ummmm 305 V-8???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chazmanian, Oct 25, 2007.

1. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

So I just got done looking at and driving a 1994 Chevy 2500 base work truck with a 305 V-8 and a very very nice Western 8 1/2 V-Plow.

The truck is very tight and very solid. First one I have driven that didnt have that "Wanderlust" and loose feeling. Its also the first Chevy I have driven that dosent make that sound when it goes into reverse. The truck is fairly straight and drives really good. We hooked up the Ultra mount V-Plow and you couldnt tell that it was even there. The truck feels like it has a very low gear ratio as it is extremely torquey and strong. Its an automatic and shifts good. It has a cat-back exhuast that makes it sound tough. The 305 feels strong enough but i'm concerned about its long term ability. The truck has never been a plow truck. the guy bought the truck for $3500.00 and the plow for $2500.00 and had the plow installed under the assumption that he would be plowing the same old small locations that he did last year but was instead awarded a contract for a huge shopping center and went and bought hisself a big diesel Chevy and a brand new V-plow.

The Good:

So the truck drives and rides really good. Good brakes. Tight steering. 4 New BFG AT's. Nice toolbox, The plow is fully functional and I tested it in the dirt. It worked really good and was suprisingly fast. The truck is geared really low. It has lots of power considering its a 305.

The bad:
    It has six lug wheels.

The Ugly:
    It has a 305 V8??.
    Its $6000.00 and he will not budge.

Thy Verdict Gentlemen???:confused:
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Well, it isnt an official 2500 due to 6 lug wheels. It is a 1500 with a little stiffer rear to make it have a higher GVWR, but not as high as an 8 lug 2500. The 305's in my opinion are okay, for a car. But I think the 5.7 350 would be much better off and you will get more longevity out of the 350. The truck looks very nice, but I wouldnt go over 5 grand for it. What kind of miles does it have??? I think for 6 grand you could find a decent 2500 that is 8 lug with a 5.7 350 in it. But good luck either way
  3. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

Its got a 4 y/o barely used super nice 8'.6" Western "V" Pro plow.....

I really like the truck and its in much better shape mechanically than even the later model trucks I have looked at. It drives good. It has good barkes. It has good tires. Everything works correctly.

Can this truck handle that 8 1/2 foot Western V Plow???
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on what type of plowing your going to be doing with it..for light plowing or a limited number of residential, it'd be fine. But if your gonna do a lot of heavy duty plowing with it or it's primary use will be for commercial use, I'd pass on it. Technically, since it's a light duty 2500 with a 7200-7700GVWR, the plow will be overweight for the front end but it will carry it, might just accelerate wear on the steering/suspension. The trans is the weak link in the equations, not the 305 engine. 90% of the light duty 2500's used the 4L60E trans..very few used the 4L80E like the actual 2500 8 lug trucks used. They're not the best trans for a plow truck if that's indeed what it has in it. If it does have the 80E, I might consider it since the plow is worth $2500-$3000 alone but again it just depends on the type of plowing it will be doing.

FYI: The only differences between a 1500 and a 2500 Light Duty are:

Front torsion bar rating
    Rear leaf spring rating
    9.5" 14 bolt rear end instead of the 1500's 8.5" 10 bolt rear
    Sometimes the trans (like I mentioned)
  5. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

Thanks B&B....I think Im gonna have to pass on that truck as well....Arrrgh.:realmad:

I sent one of the guys that works on my painting crew over to look at it as he has some plowing experience and evidently the plow in the up position is only 4" off the ground and when he tried to change its hieght with the chain deal he says it messed up all the angles???

Long story short he thinks the big V plow is overweighting the front end as the actual mounting pins are literally 3" off the ground and the truck has yet to plow a flake of snow.

I dont want to get all involved with adding heavy springs and the torsion bars are already torqued up......

Its a pass on the sweet "Lil" Chevy with the Monster plow!

I'm contracted to do a shopping center and two large apartment complexs....Need something a bit "Beefier" I think.
  6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Little steep, but it also isn't a hagged out old plow truck either. I always like to buy my trucks used, then add the plow myself. Because I've seen how other people plow. I wouldn';t hesitate to get another 305, I'e had great luck with them. Everybody badmouths them because they aren't a 350, but they are essentially the same motor, making only a fraction less power. I can almost gaurantee you not many people could tell the difference while driving which one was 350 and which was a 305. They are just really close in performance when stock. Same design throughout, so they don't fail earlier because they are "weaker". I had one in an 81 K20, I beat the snot out of that thing for years, plowed, hauled, towed, four-wheeled 35s on it, that motor was old and tired, smoked a little on startup, but just couldn't kill it. And it would still light the tires. Had 4:10 with a detroit locker, I pulled out a couple Ford plowtrucks with it, and International 4900 flatbed, and a Freightliner ten wheel tractor. No shortage of power, especially if you've got the right gears, and it sounds like you do.
    As far as the motor goes, you drove it, if it felt strong enough to you, then it is. It sounds like a really good work truck. Personally I would prefer 8 lug wheels, especially with an oversize plow on it. I'm not sure what that plow weighs, but it's probably pretty excessive for that truck.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

100% agree with you.. Might be a nice truck but I don't think it'd fit your need's. Keep looking though..the right truck for the right price is out there.:)
  8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Dang, B&B I thought I was going to beat you to it and share my knowlege (thats not spelled right) about gm trucks, but no you had to beat me to it. :angry: :gunsfiring:

:waving: :D Good job with the info.
  9. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

Wonder how hard it would be to add some beefier torsion bars to it.

I dig that truck but the mere thought of the plow dragging along the road as I go from jobsite to jobsite is very....:cry:
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Changing the bars is the easy and cheap part. Changing the trans isn't..:D
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

:waving: Sorry Mark... I'll save the next one for ya..:D
  12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ahh, you got more info than me anyway. I only know the diff trans, rear axles, etc but not the specific gvwr and stuff like that.
  13. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

I have to disagree on the 305

Had an 86 GMC with a 305, most worthless, gutless truck I ever owned.
  14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The later 305 TBI's were much better than the old one's..I agree with you though,.... the pre-'88 Q-jet equipped one's can be real pigs...especially if the truck is geared wrong...I know, I have one myself.
  15. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

When Y'all say changing the torsion bars is easy.....Easy like salvage yard and a few bolts easy??

I just want the truck to make it through 1 season. I will then retire it to back-up truck duty next year and find another truck for the v-Plow and leave the mounting hardware on the light duty 3/4 as a back in case the next truck fails.

I'm trying to get my foot in the "Door" as cheaply as possible. This truck has never plowed and it is tight and fairly solid. For some odd reason trucks with plows are crazy expensive here in Colorado. For me to get a functional unit with a good strong plow for $6,000 is doing good from the other garbage I have looked at.

So back to my question is it viable to get a set of heavier torsion bars from a salvage yard and make this truck work for my first year?
  16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

For the most part, yes. They're not hard at all to change... a hammer, an 18mm socket and an unloader tool to release the tension on the bars is all it takes..

Since your only looking to get one season out of it, I think it would work fine to "get your foot in the door" as long as it wasn't abused too hard. Treat it like a 1/2 ton, and not a 3/4 ton and I think it'd hold up for a while.
  17. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Before I bought my truck, I was there for an emergency engine swap on it between plows... they beat the original '82 350 to death (he was really really rough with the truck) by somehow breaking all the rings... so all he had handy was a fairly low mileage 305 from an '85 Jimmy... which we very quickly stabbed into place. Not even an oil change or filter, and there was water frozen in the oil! He said "it will boil off when it gets hot" and off he went.

That engine stayed in the truck from 1998 thru 2004 when I did the EFI stroker swap. It pulled trailers, plowed snow, and hauled gravel all that time.... was really only gutless when climbing hills. Especially when it had a couple tons of gravel in the back! 7000lbs empty....

My point-305's can be plenty tough, just not the most powerful thing to drive. Wouldn't be my first choice either but sometimes the price is right...