1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1994 chev diesel transmission advice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by buckwheat_la, Feb 10, 2010.

1. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

bought a 1994 chevy diesel with a brand new 6.5 liter turbo engine ordered from GM, and a 5 speed manuel transmission, and i have a couple questions. anyone have experience with this transmission? is it decent for towing? also having a problem with getting this truck to move on ice/packed snow, only thing i can figure is that too much weight on the front and not enough weight on the wheels on the back. It has 80-90% tread left on tires, so i am pretty sure that isn't the problem. Any suggestions/comments are appreciated

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I think you answered your own question. That motor is heavy, so it's unloading the rear axle. Your post doesn't say, but if it's a 3500 dually, the problem is going to be much worse because what little weight you have back there pressing down on the ground will be divided between four tires instead of two. Put a plow on the front and the rear tires will barely touch the ground. The traction problem is also a little more touchy with a manual trans than an auto, you need to develop a feel for the truck and the clutch. All you really need to do is add some ballast behind the rear wheels, at least 300-400 lbs minimum. If you are going to plow 1000 lbs will be better.

As for the 5 speed, I don't really know anything about them, but I can't say as I've heard bad things about them or seen broken ones. Sometimes I wish I had one, seems like it would be a little better for towing and much more fun to drive. But it would be less fun for plowing.

3. buckwheat_la

opps, i forgot to mention, this is going to be my dedicated sanding machine during the winter, so if it is just a weight problem in the front, putting a 1500lb empty spreader mounted on the back should help a bit. also it has 4x4 but it isn't working right now (first on the repair list) also, i probably won't put a plow on this unit this year.

4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I think you'll find the weight will counter the frontend weight nicely.

5. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I normally run a spreader in my truck-1000 lbs empty. It is a srw with a plow on the front. i tried plowing a couple months ago without the spreader in there-it was absolutely useless. I filled the back of it with snow (heaping), and it was much better. It's just a weight issue-it makes a huge difference.

6. buckwheat_la

anyone with experience with the 5 speed manuel tranny, good or bad, advice is great