1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1994-1998 GM Diesel's

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by meathead1134, Dec 12, 2004.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

Good morning guys I have a question for ya. I was wondering if anybody out there uses 1994-1998 Chevy GMC with a diesel in it. I have found several trucks out there and the prices seem to be decent. I'm just wondering about the good the bad or the ugly. I would appreciate any info cause I am in the market for a truck and I am looking to make a good decision. I have found some with turbos and some with out. I am doing research to eventually buy a truck for plowing and hauling. Thanks in advance

2. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Buddy of mine has one. 6.5 litre. Only real problem with those engines are injector pumps going bad, atleast that is his only negative experience.

3. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I had a 2002 3500hd dump.It was lousy on fuel and way under powered.If i loaded the truck{4-5yrds topsoil} it would overheat trying to pull a hill,and have trouble backing up any incline loaded.I would stay away.That was my last gm truck.Now we run all fords.My F350 dump with the 5.4 could run circles around that truck.

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

2002 would have a duramax not a 6.5. A properly functioning Duramax would also not function as you describe. Either you didnt have a duramax or it wasnt running right. 01 was the first year for the d max, 2000 would still be a 6.5

6.5 is a good reliable motor other than the injector pump and the FSD crapping out. FSD problems are mostly atributed to the fact they sit on the motor and the heat kills em. There are many places that sell kits to relocate it and keep it from dying. A 6.5 isnt as ballsy as a newer diesel but they are ok. They come with a pretty good trans too. The motor is pretty deecent though. Much harder to tweak em though compared to a Newer diesel.

5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Rat,

I think he is referring to the 3500HD which was the 15K GVW truck that had the 19.5's and never used the D/A.

The 6.5's are an OK engine. Extended warranties cover the IP up to 110K or so. My problem with them is their ability to grenade a crank at the most un-oppurtune times. They are also based on 24+ year old diesel technology.

There are a lot of 6.5's on the market, because those owners are now trading up to an engine that has been around almost 5 years. I constantly have to remind myself that it is soon to be 2005 !!! That makes some of these 6.5 trucks almost 12 years old!

6. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Thanks TLS my truck was the HD with the 19.5s on it .I guess i was'nt clear enough,but i think the original ? was about a older 6.5.I don't remember there being any ? about a duramax which was not offered in my truck.

7. ratlover

from IL

:eek: I actually assumed you had a gasser or got the years wrong. A simple misread can cause all kindsa problems. And since the question was about 6.5's I figure I would try to clarify and make sure the right info was being exchanged.....but my attempt to clarify just made things more confusing with wrong info

:eek: :eek: :eek:

8. 78K20

78K20 Member
    from WV

6.5 chevy

Where I work we have a 98 chevy 3500 stake bed 4WD with a 6.5L 5 speed. The truck gets run pretty hard and neglected but seems to hold up alright. The only problem is sometimes especially if it is hot and getting run hard if you shut it off it wont restart untill it cools off. The power isnt great but the truck will hold its own. On the interstate with a load it will hold 70 in 5th. Its no powerstroke by far but its a pretty dependable truck.

9. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

That year has a electronically controled injection pumps that had problems such as this when they got older sometimes. I have driven many 6.5 over the years and alway found them to be pleasant and fun to drive for a diesel becuase of quick and perky off idle throttle responce and willingness to rev up (for a diesel anyway) verse the engine it was replaced with that is mushy off a idle and has a more limited RPM range.

10. extremsnomobile

extremsnomobile Member

are you sure ive worked for a camper rental copany nad they ran an 03 hd 2500 that could pull 90 with a 35'fithwhell with a **** load of bed weight. i also no that we hooked a 01 f250 up to a 89 gmc deisel rear bumper to rear bumper and the gmc pulled the f250 down the road with the f250s tires smoldering

11. ratlover

from IL

you would be talking about a duramax not a 6.5

there is a 6.5 in our 2000 sweeper truck and with a full tank of water and a hopper full of garbage it still accelerates deccently.aint no chipped duramax but it pulls ok

Tugs of war have nothing to do with power also IMO

12. GPB

GPB Member

Ive never owned one, so I cant comment on the power or driveability, but 2 of my subcontractors have them. One just turned 300,000 miles, and the other should now be over 400,000. As far as I know, neither have had major trouble with them. The one with 400,000 got just over 300,000 on the original auto tranny.

I dont know if this is typical mileage of these motors or not, but from what Ive seen there pretty dependable.

13. Tarkus

The 6.5 were solid motors internally and had not problems there that I am aware of. 99% of the problem people did have were related to the injector pump which GM converted to electrically controlled around 94 or so and full drive by wire in 99. They had some problems when some of them untill the pump design matured. Personally, I have seen and heard of many of them going well past 200k with narry a problem.

14. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I would find it VERY HARD TO BELIEVE they have 400k without a rebuild.There has got to be no bearings left in that motor just because of friction?

15. extremsnomobile

extremsnomobile Member

if u treat a motor right it will out live u. change the oil every 3000, keep teh jets clean. ive sceen engines out last cars be4

16. extremsnomobile

extremsnomobile Member

17. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

It does have to do with power, but much more to do with traction and gearing.

Oh, and 6.5 GM Diesels don't have "jets" to keep clean.

18. ratlover

from IL

Its 60% traction 39% driver and 1% power JMO

A heavy truck or a good driver or even if you have you hook point(this is VERY big deal and goes into traction) higher than the other guy, will win. Look at who loses.......the guy spinning his tires. If it was a matter of power the losers tires would be rolling backwards. I garantee my truck has more power than some tired old 305 but if I hooked up with him and just smashed the throttle and he knew what he was doing, my tires go bye bye and he just pulls me backwards.

Its hard on parts too

Not being a smart ass, just explaining my oppinion :)

19. Tarkus

It is all about the weight, gearing and traction that will make you or break you in a plow truck. Any fullsized 3/4 or 1 ton truck will do well if this is met, even with a 6 cylinder engine.

20. ratlover

from IL

he was talking about a tug of war not plowing snow......