1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1994 1500 Questions

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by BigDawg, Dec 17, 2003.

1. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

Ok Dodge Guru's help out a Dodge Newbie. Just added a 1994 1500 to the small fleet. I know, I should have gotten a 2500 or better, but I could not pass up this deal and this truck was inperfect shape.

1) After start up, when I put the truck in reverse, I hear a noise in the tranny. Kind of sounds like a deep wind.
    2)After start up (cold), I hear a winding sound in the front of the motor. I thought it may have been a pulley, but when I listen close,I think it may be a water pump? Could it be?:help:
    3) When I have the heat on, and its blowing out of the vents on the dash,if I step on the gas it will start blowing out of the defroster. Do heaters ducts in these trucks run off of vaccum.?
    4)Just installed a Trans Temp Gauge, what is normal operating temp?
    :confused:

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I can help you out with #3, there is a vacuum resivoir I believe on the passenger side of the firewall it has a check valve in it that may be bad, I think the part is like 10 bucks at the dealer.

3. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

Did you put the temp guage in the pan, or in a line? In the hot line, unloaded and cruising I am seeing about 110 (in winter). Plowing, I have gotten up to 250 when I idle it. It is safe up to 275, but I don't want to push it. In the pan, once it gets up to about 180 and stays, idle it down. When you idle, idle in Neutral and you circulate more fluid.

4. captfudd

captfudd Member

the whine you here in the trans is the trans. pump so I am told.
    It may need to be fixed or you may be able to get away with it I am having a trans guy look at mine on the 29th I'll let you know what he says

5. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

The whine is not an everytime (coldstart) thing. I also have not installed the sending unit in the trans yet, but I am going to put it in the pan. I gotta say, I have never been a Dodge fan , and I have owned Fords, GMC's,Chevy's, that freaking Dodge goes thru the snow like noting I have ever had. If someone told me 10 years ago I would have a Dodge in my garage, I would have told them their nuts. Well guess what, now I have two, I went out and bought the wife a durango. I even bought a "Dodge Ram" hat. Guess I got the fever!:drinkup:

6. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

I had a similar issue with a '94 1500 I used to own. Occasionally heard winding noise. Got progressively worse. Turned out to be shot transfer case. Doesn't end there, culprit was broken front axle. End result bought new '03 2500 while '94 was still in shop. Sold '94 ASAP.

7. captfudd

captfudd Member

Trans noise truned out to be clogged filter, when trans was cold fluid was not circulating properly.

Had the tranny serviced and now everything seems to be doin okay

8. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

That is good to hear. I hope that is all I have to do with mine.