1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1993 K1500 Front Suspension

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Citrausa, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Citrausa

Citrausa Member

I have a 1993 k1500. Looking for recommendations on wheel bearings, torsion bars and etc to help beef up the front end for plowing.

Thank you

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Replace all bearings, BJ's, tie rods, etc if they are worn with grease-able parts. Crank the T-bars for the winter or put in Timbrens but there is no making a 1/2 ton front end like a 3/4 or 1 ton with regular 1/2 ton parts.

3. coke813

coke813 Member

I had a 98 K1500. All I did to it was tighten the torsion bars to lift the front about 1" higher for winter time. and I kept about 400lbs of ballast in the rear end. I was pushing a 7.5' western and didn't have any problems. I only used it for my house and a couple friends places, so no commercial work, but I loved the truck and it held up well for what I needed.

4. Citrausa

Citrausa Member

I ended up purchasing a 1993 k2500. I will have to go thru all the front end to see what if anything needs replacement. Not sure about how to crank up the torsion bars and if the keys need replacement.

5. coke813

coke813 Member

I think you only need new keys if you are tying to "lift" the front end of the truck significantly. On mine, there was plenty of thread on the bolts to turn it about 2-3 rotations and that lifted the front up just enough to counter the sag from the plow.
    If you haven't done it before, just find the bolts on the rear end of the torsion bars that point straight up. (one for each side) Measure your front end height before, and you turn the bolt "in" a little bit. then check for the height you want. Don't overdo it, just a little bit to keep from nose-diving when you have the plow raised.