1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1993 Full Size Bronco Auto Hub Problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Earl W., Sep 28, 2004.

1. Earl W.

Earl W. Member

I just discovered that my auto hubs do not work. I have control of transfer case with push button in and out. Drive shafts are turning to axles.

What should I look for in troubleshooting? It may be obvious if I find broken parts however I do not hear any grinding.

I notice that most of all the newer 4x4's of all make and sizes have auto hubs and I wold like to keep them, esp. for the wife. Are auto's worth it or should I go with manuals for my year Bronco?

Thanks.

2. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Do you plow snow with this vehicle?? Check the other forums for more information about auto hubs. In my opinion you should replace them with manuals, probably a lot cheaper.

3. Earl W.

Earl W. Member

No I do not plow with it. I read some of the posts and it seems that the majority say that manuals are best for plowing.

Thanks.

4. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Earl,
    I have a chance to purchase a 1993 Bronco, Is there anything in particular that I need to look for before I buy it? This one has the auto hubs and they work fine. I do however plan on swapping these for manuals. What size motor do you have in yours? Thanks Boast

5. Earl W.

Earl W. Member

Boast:

Not anything out of the ordinary 'buyer beware' stuff. They're great in the snow (when 4wh.dr. works) and have a tight turning radius.

I have seen others with rust along the tailgate and rear quarter panels above the tires, good cleaning (esp. after 4 whlg. in mud)in these areas will elimate or slow rust caused by an accumulation of dirt.

It has a 351M that's very strong.

Earl

6. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Everything you said is true, except the 351M part. It's a Windsor, which I think is even better. To the question of hubs. Simple. The Ford autos are crap. Ditch them and get Warn Premium manual hubs. They will NEVER break. There is this misconception of many people that manuals are a PITA. People think that you lock them only when you need them and then have to unlock them right away. Not at all. I leave mine locked in for weeks at a time in the winter. Your gas mileage may go down 1-2mpg at the most and of course there will be more normal wear than if the axle was not turning but it's not a big deal. You could run 100k miles with the hubs locked and never need to replace anything. Only issue you may have is if you drive highway speeds. It is not recommended that you run over 50mph with the hubs locked. Ford just says that to cover their ass. I don't recommend highway speeds often or for a distance but if your going a few miles, don't worry. I have run 85mph with them locked and don't hear a peep from the front. All in all manuals are far superior in all respects to autos. GO WARN OR GO HOME!!!