1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1993 Ford F250 Flywheel Cracking

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Leisure Time LC, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Leisure Time LC

Leisure Time LC Senior Member

hey guys I have a major problem and I need your help. I have a 1993 F250 with a 5.8 gas engine. When I bought the truck used it had a cracked flywheel. I took it to a mechanic and had it replaced. I was out doing fall cleanups yesterday and it cracked again. Does anyone know why this is happening???? This truck is going to put me in the poor house before long. I just paid $700.00 to fix it 2 weeks ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Scott

2. RSK

RSK Senior Member

you can try to get a H-D flywheel for the truck

3. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

are you driving it or do have some monkeys working for ya that are beating on it ?

4. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

How the heck do you crack a flywheel?? Is it cracking at the bolt holes or on the starter contact area??

5. KATTRANSPORT

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

Are you saying flywheel as in a manual transmission or flexplate for and automatic.

6. Leisure Time LC

Leisure Time LC Senior Member

I am the one driving it, and it is an automatic transmission. Thanks for the replies

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I can tell you (maybe) why it's breaking the flex plate. It has bad engine or transmission mounts or the bolts were not all tight on the housings. It loosens the bell housing bolts which allows too much movement / flex. You end up with a gap which just gets wider and wider the more you drive. Sometimes it does not take long to do it.

Don't use junk yard parts like flex plates / torque converters you have no idea how many mile are on them.

Get under it and check the bolts holding the bell housing to the engine. If loose DO NOT TIGHTEN THEM. See if you can slip a piece of paper between them. Being a repair just 2 weeks old I would raise hell with the guy that did it. When you get mounts compare the new to the old. A lot of computer systems have them listed wrong on Fords for some reason. If the guys much of a mechanic he would of replaced the rear main seal on the engine while he was there. It's cheap insurance on your part to have it done.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  8. KATTRANSPORT

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

There are so many things that can cause a flexplate to crack. Main bearings can cause the crankshaft to walk, faulty dampner can cause engine vibration that can cause it to crack. IMPROPER instalation i e overtightend bolts are a huge cause of failure. loose bellhousing bolts can cause it. you need to take a good look at the truck and who is working on it.

9. rancherman84

rancherman84 Senior Member

i just had to replace the flexplate on my 92 f-250 with 7.3 idi diesel cause it cracked around the blot holes.upon disassembly i found the rear trans crossmember rotted away almost completly.cant complain to much i guess shes got 215,000 on her.