1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1993 Ford Bronco and plowing

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bsgoldn, Dec 26, 2001.

1. bsgoldn

bsgoldn Junior Member
    from Ct.

I am trying to mount a meyer ez mount plow on my 1993 Full size Bronco and they say my front end can't handle a plow. Can I beef up my suspension with air bags and what else to save my front end. Can I use a 1993 f-150 mount? Please help or e-mail me at BSGoldn@aol.com

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

You could use an F 150 mount. However you bronco probably has the light duty front end (2900 GVW). To plow with an F 150, you should have the heavy duty front end (3800 GVW).

You can always buy the F 150 plow mount cash and carry. However there recomendation is correct. If you add front end product, it will help, however its no guareentee.

Geoff

3. bsgoldn

bsgoldn Junior Member
    from Ct.

You are right. My front end GVW is even less only (2600). I am sure there is something I can do. I have already bought a Meyer ST-7.5 e-z mount plow and lift mount. Now I have to figure out if I am going to try and mount it somehow or strenghthen my suspension. If anyone has any ideas please reply.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have seen plows on the Broncos. Usually 7.5 and they sag quite a bit. I would recommend some suspension upgrade if you go this route. Heavier springs, timbrens or air bags are options.

On a side note to keep the Ford/Chevy debate alive. I have seen fullsize Blazers with the same size plows and they seem not to sag as much. From talking to one owner he told me it plowed awesome. I found this odd because they are basically the same type of vehicle (fullsize suv) and both were early 90's models.

5. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

bsgoldn,
    when i started plowing my first truck was a 90' f-150. i replaced the springs with i believe skyjacker 2" leveling coils and put air bags in them. when i plowed i filled the air bags and when done i let the air out. set up worked great on my half ton. in fact in 96 i plowed the blizzard, 33" on the white stuff, and had no problems at all. my transfer case chain was a little sloppy whan all finished but the truck paid for itsself in that storm. if you need anymore help email me.

6. bsgoldn

bsgoldn Junior Member
    from Ct.

93 ford brionco

Thanks alot for your replies and help. Ia m going to try new springs and air bags. As far as your chevy vs. ford theory that is your opinion. But I am sure my ford will be running through the snow alot longer than your Chevy.

7. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

I have a 91 Bronco that I got for $250, from an auction. It has 103k on it. I got to talking to one of my plowing buddies and he has a plow for it for a grand. Now I know I have a few things to do to it before next winter. Grinding some surface rust, ball joints, tie rod ends. I am thinking of going with retreads for tires, I plan to use the vehicle only during the winter. Now as for the front springs I have read about the airbag/hefty spring setup. Who sells these hefty springs and are they the only place to get them? Airbags are they necessairy or can I go with a good spring. I don't care about the ride really, I was planning a lift before a plow deal came along. Also give some input on retreads for the setup that I am attempting?

8. bsgoldn

bsgoldn Junior Member
    from Ct.

91 ford bronco

I am not sure but you probably don't need to add the air bags or the new springs. Ford Broncos changed their GVW on the front axles in 1993 to a much lower weight limit. You should check inside tour driver's door for the actual weight limit on your vehicle and check with a local plow dealer for the weight class for your actual plow and frame kit. You might still need to beef up your front end. air bags add another 1000 lbs. limit to your front end. They are available from airlift.com (might be wrong website,but right name). good luck. Any problems e-mail me at bsgoldn@aol.com

9. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Hmm, ya know I never really checked into the rating on the door. I have just been hearing that I couldn't put a plow on the front. Well now I have to go and look at the door. Thats where I should have started.

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

bsgoldn,the springs will only rasie the GVW of the front end,if the axle is actually able to handle the extra weight too,the ball joints, stamped styeel TTB have to be able to hold the weight,or all the spring in the world wont keep the thin steel axle housingfrom ripping,and breaking.I have seen this afew trimes.As for the FOrd/Chevy debate,ill take a early 90's K blazer with solid axle ,and 350TBI/700r4 any day,strong powetrain,a guy i ride with has a 90 with a 9'2" BOSS V on it,980 lbs of plow on this K 1500 Blazer,for 11 yrs now,all it has is timbrens on the front,and nothing has broken,juts normal wear and tear for vehicle that old,i dont think a bronce's TTB would last 10 minutes with that blade.

11. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

I have the option of getting a Blazer too, I can sell this Bronco easy. I only paid $250, its not in bad shape either.

12. bsgoldn

bsgoldn Junior Member
    from Ct.

93 ford bronco front end install

Jon,
    First of all let me refresh you on my vehicle, since it has been a while since I have visited the site.
    I own a 1993 Ford full-size Eddy Bauer edition Bronco with the light weight front end. I heard a lot of negative comments before I installed the plow as well as positive. Regardless I went along and put both the heavy duty coil springs as well as the airbags.
    I located the airbags on the Internet. I forgot the site name (either code search airbag or airspring will find it). I think they cost me about $90.00. The coil springs I got from my local auto parts store. The stocked both regular duty coils as well as heavy capacity. I got the stronger ones. At first I thought this was going to be overkill, it wasn't. I have been plowing for about 20 years with numerous different vehicles. This is the best handling plow truck I have ever had!!!!!!
    I keep the airbags filled to about 65 pounds with the plow on, 50 pounds without. Even with the plow on my truck it sits straight with the rear end (even when I didn't have the plow on previous I could never say that). It handles great around turns as well as the highway.
    I thought this whole thing was going to be a complicated install. It wasn't at all. I jacked the vehicle up removed the tires. Then I removed the shocks which in turn let both sides drop. Then I proceeded to remove the upper bolts from the coil retaining clips. They fell to the side then I removed the lower retaining bolts and success there was the removal. Install was just the opposite except that I installed the airbags in the new coils after I reattached the lower bolts on the coils. As long as I went to this much trouble I decided to purchase new shocks (I thought my Bronco deserved them) and I was halfway there.
    This year up in the Northeast (Connecticut) we have had about 4-5 snow storms. Last year we only saw about one.
    So far my Bronco has been plowing right on through. It only has a 5.0 compared to some Bronco's with the 5.7 so I would prefer a little more power but that has nothing to do with suspension. I really does handle quite well. Even when we got hit with about 4 inches of wet snow, my front never went down when I was pushing it.
    Good Luck !!!!! Let me know how it works out and if you need any more help feel free to e-mail me.

Brian S. Goldstone

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

Watch for the driver side TTB to crack right beside the spring mount.It's very common on the heavier GVW front ends,I'd be real concerned with the 2600 lb FAWR.

14. bsgoldn

bsgoldn Junior Member
    from Ct.

93 ford bronco front end install

Please excuse my ignorance but what do you actually mean by Driver's side TTB?

15. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Im with wyldman,i have seen them break a lot,thats what i warned of last yr.They crack right between the the differential /spring pad.It is $$ to replace.

16. wyldman

wyldman Member

A TTB is a Twin traction beam,or the stamped metal piece that connects from the opposite frame rail to the steering knuckle.The ball joints are pressed into it as well.TTB is Ford's terminology for it.

17. wyldman

wyldman Member

Yeah,I've seen lots break,even on the bigger F250HD's.They are about $800.00 CDN just for the part.They are usually too deformed afterwards to repair.They also tend to take out the LS axle shaft,and sometimes the diff assy as well.

Just be carefull,and keep an eye on it.

18. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I hang a 8 foor meyer off of a 78 bronco, I run airlift 1000's and run them 50-65 psi all the time.

if you look at the image below you will see what the ttb front end looks like and how it works, the green tire is the normal every day driving position of the beams & tire, when you hit a bump the beams flex upwards and the tire goes to the orange position causing tire alignment to be off for a few secconds.
    because the beams do not allow the spindle / hub to remain parralell to the road excessive suspention/tire wear is going to occur. when your plow is on and up while driving the suspention will droop causing the tire to be in the orange position all the time and it will flex to the red tire zone when you hit a bump, causing excessive bearing side loads, which can ruin a wheel bearing in less then 50 miles. if the beam hits the bumpstops hard enough a few times it will crack at the place of the most load, which John pointed out is right under the coil buckets.
    remember those beams are made out of 10 gauge sheet metal and if I can take a 4" wide piece that is 2 foot long and bend it over my knee into a arch how well do you think it is going to hold a 700#+ plow? :eek: :eek:

~Nate~

1ttb.jpg

19. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I had a 92 F-150 4X4, 300-6, 5 spd with a 8' Western, I plowed for 4 years with that truck. I bought the truck with the plow on it and the front end sagging badly with the plow on. So as soons as I got the truck I went to the auto parts house and got new coils for a 92 F-150 S.C. 4X4 long box, V-8, heavy duty ac, and auto tranny. They had either standard or heavy duty, I got the heavy duty ones and got 3" of lift out of them, and then truck only sagged 2", so it still sat about an inch higher with the plow up than it did when the truck was completely unloaded. I never had an problem with the frontend breaking or cracking. I also had a 95 F-250 4X4 PSD with a 8.5" Western, and sold it with 150,000 miles never a problem wth the frontend here either. My father also has a 84 F-250 6.9L (diesel) with a 8' plow, only used for plowing other that it just sits in the summer. He bought it new, and I don't remember the plow ever coming off the truck (except maintiance), now has over 180,000 miles on the truck and never had a problem with the TTB cracking or breaking. Granted i will take a 1 ton straight axle with leaf springs over any type of independant front suspention any day, but I can't think of anyone that I know that has had problems with the TTB system other than the fact that they need alginment jobs every 20,000 miles.

20. wyldman

wyldman Member

Usually the reason they require such frequent alignments is due to the axle beams stretching and twisting.

Not all of them break,but LOTS of them crack,unknown to the driver.They even crack without a plow,so the extra weight only compounds the problem.I wasn't trying to scare anyone,just letting them know.A vehicle with that light of a front axle should never have a plow hung on it in the first place.Just be careful.