1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1993 f250 zf 5 speed clunking

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by A & B Lawn Care, Nov 15, 2010.

1. A & B Lawn Care

A & B Lawn Care Member

Hello, I have a 1993 f250 7.3 idi zf 5 speed I noticed today when I'm in 1st gear letting out the clutch the tranny or what seams to be the tranny clunks when I shift, 2nd and 3rd are fine, 4th does the same, and 5th is ok. I just installed a new slave cylinder and clutch and brake pedal assembly a few weeks ago. The clutch is fine. And btw the truck has 426k on it and idk when the last time the tranny fluid has been changed. Any help would be appreciated, thx.

2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

is it a dual mass flywheel???? and change the fluid run half 50 weight motor oil and half 80 90 gear oil i have 2 zf trans and tons of flywheels and stuff for those trucks but willing to bet its the dual mass flywheel unless the syncros in the trans are strating to go good luck

3. A & B Lawn Care

A & B Lawn Care Member

It does have the dual mass flywheel, I will def change the fluid, I went under the truck yesterday and the u joints are the problem, way tooo much play and I can hear them clunk twice now when I shift in higher gears cuz of the added stress.

4. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

yup rear joints would do that to but those dual mass flywheels tend to come apart and take the trans with them they do make new kits to change them they are not cheap but i do have some good used ones and 1 brand new in the package kit