1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1993 f150, sagging really bad....

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by daveintoledo, Nov 24, 2007.

1. daveintoledo

daveintoledo Senior Member
    from nw ohio

new meyers plow, 685 ibs..... i am ordering timbers , and i havent tried the ballest in the back yet....

do you think the timbers will be enough to make it right, or should i look at another solution...

Thanks

Dave

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I am pretty sure those have torsion bars similar to the Chevy's set up. You can crank them up a couple turns, and throw the timbrens in. That should help alot. It wouldnt hurt to toss a few hundred pounds behind the rear wheels to help counter act the plow. Dont get too crazy with loading down an F150, as your braking and handling will be affected.

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

ouch !

the f150 has coil spring's if it's not a real light grt gawr timbrens will be fine ,or your choice of air bag's air lift 80590 ,heaver coil spring's moog cc824 .

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Heavier coils springs and heavy duty shocks will definatly do the job. Or find a way to put leaf springs in the front from an F350wesport

5. daveintoledo

from nw ohio

i searched for air bags..

but no luck know where i can get them from ...

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

The heavier springs can probably be gotten from Napa or a GOOD auto parts store that carries Moog parts. Air bags, check out the CPW link above, they may have something for you.

7. mchur01

mchur01 Senior Member

I run a 93 F150 with a 7 1/2 western I also had a lot of front end drop even with weight in the back. I picked up a new set of medium duty coil springs from Auto Zone for $70, that pretty much leveled me right out. There will always be some front drop but its easy to correct without overloading the truck.

8. daveintoledo

from nw ohio

thanks....

i have ordered the timbrens, and i think i will do what you did also, just to be sure, that is a good price and the instillation of the coil springs isnt too bad...

Dave:)

9. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

air bags

airliftcompany.com/ try their dealer locater a ton of people sell them

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Cargo Coils(heavy duty) from Advance Auto Parts. Start spraying the hold down nut on the springs with PB Blaster, WD40 etc. Don't get any on the rotors or brake pads. Try to do it daily for a little while before you do the job. The hold downs on the springs will come off a lot easier. You may need a big wrench for the job,I can't remember what size the nuts are.
    If it has the rubber seats for the springs make sure they are not all chewed up. Replace them if they are. If you can afford it, replace the shocks with heavy duty Monroes. Look at the back ones too. If they are leaking or look real old I would replace them too.

11. daveintoledo

from nw ohio

heavy duty springs...

i think that sounds like good advise, while its all apart, might as well really beef it up....safe then sorry......i really should replace the shocks, too since they will be half off for the new coil springs....

and yes to pb blaster.... stuff is awsome....:)

12. MickiRig1

With the vintage of the truck it's just a good idea to replace stuff so you know it's up to snuff. You can pretty much bet the springs are original equipment.

13. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

f250or 350 2wd coil springs will work (we have them in all our f150 and broncos) but the ride will be a little stiffer.

14. daveintoledo

from nw ohio

got the timbrens on...

wow what a difference.... i havent put the plow back on yet, too late... but just the ride hight of the front end really came up....try the plow tomarrow, i think im still going to change the springs and shocks, just because of the age of the parts, thanks for all the help guys....

15. MickiRig1

Check your u-joints in the front axle too. If one self destructs while plowing your now a 2 wheel drive truck. Plowing with a truck will stress parts to the point of breaking so make sure all the parts are good.

16. daveintoledo

from nw ohio

17. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Monroe Air Shocks are a nice addition for the rear of a truck that is tired or needs to haul regularly. Much cheaper than an air bag set up or the firestone air shocks and more than adequate for ballast weight and then some. I think I spent $90 for my last pair.