1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1993 Dodge 4x4 value?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Puller504, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Puller504

Puller504 Junior Member

My first post goes like this, I now use my 1986 Silverado 3/4 ton Chevy with a Meyers 7.5 snowplow with ProWings. I also pull a 26 foot gooseneck trailer about a dozen times a year to the local tractor pulls. The chevy has a 350 small block, Turbo 400 transmission and 4.10 gears. The body on my Chevy (20 years old) is leaving. A local farmer I've known all my life is selling his 1993 Dodge Cummins powered 4x4. It's a 3/4 ton with an automatic, I'm not sure of the gear ratio. He pulled an aluminum cattle trailer with this truck since it was new and I never saw him drive over 50 miles an hour! The Dodge has 165,000 miles on it and runs like a champ. How much would be a fair price to pay for the Dodge? Any comments would be appreciated, should I consider an 8.5 Western Ultramount Snowplow on this truck? It has the Dana 60 front axle. Thanks for any input, Don

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

http://kbb.com

Use this website and look up the truck.

Looks to me around $5k or less, depending on the condition of the truck.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  3. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

A truck with the Cummins is a unique creature that can't be judged off book value. People will pay more than book because they know what they are getting. Around here that truck may bring $5-10k depending on condition of the body, and interior. The automatic is a drawback. They were notoriously weak. Chances are it was already replaced or rebuilt.
    As far as plows are concerned, you can probably put about anything on there. One of my subs has a 9' Western on his 3500 dump, and a 8'6" with wings on his dually ext cab pickup. You can always throw wings on a smaller plow and remove when needed. Problem you might have is finding a mount as they are not as readily available as on older Fords or Chevys. Good luck with your decision, hope I was of help.

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Around here blue book rules the market. Try the blue books before anything else- look at www.nada.com too.

Tranny is weaker than the following generation, but so was the engine. 93 is not intercooled and produces a significant amount less power than 94 trucks. Intercooling can be added. Tranny can be beefed up, it's the same basic tranny just different guts. My 96 has been upgraded to basically the same as the current trucks have.

Check the front axle weight rating- cumming are heavy engines and Dodge did not allow plows on 3/4 ton diesel's from 94-97 because it overloaded the front axle. Odd's are you won't snap the tube plowing, but you WILL wear out that front end alot faster. Doesn't matter how many guys run 12 fotters on their Rams- they are paying for it in rebuilds.

and yes- I still plow with my 96- complete front end rebuild already, need steering box rebuild now.

5. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

This is not true. 1993 Was the last year the strong 3 speed automactic was used. After 93 the 4 speed overdrive automatics gave everyone trouble. We have 11 Dodge trucks from 85 - 93 all are automatcis. We have only replaced one trans in 10 years, and it was broken from abuse. We plow all commercial and haul loaded V-box spreaders as well. Can't say enough good things about these trucks.