1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1993 chevy cavalier no start.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plummermark2002, Feb 14, 2004.

1. plummermark2002

plummermark2002 Member

I HAVE A 1993 CHEVY CAVALIER 2.2 VHO, IT ALL THE SUDDEN STARTED RUNNING REAL RUFF AND STARTING HARD, I PARKED IT OVER NIGHT AND TRYED TO START IT THE NEXT MORNING AND IT COUGHED AND SPUTTERED AND BACK FIRED BUT WOULD NOT TURN OVER, I CHECKED THE PLUG WIRES AND PLUGS WHICH ARE BOTH ARE NEW AND ALSO THE FUEL PUMP EVERYTHING THERE SEAMS FINE IT IS GETTING GAS. I SPRAYED SOME INJECTOR CLEANER IN IT THINKING THAT MAYBE THE INJECTORS ARE CLOGED BUT I DON'T THINK IT HELPED ANYTHING, DO YOU THINK IT COULD BE THE MODULATOR GONE BAD? OR MAYBE THE EGR VALVE IS BAD? ANY HELP WITH THIS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. PLUMMERMARK2002!

2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

May have injector sticking open, cold start or regular. Pull a plug and take a look at it. was it spitting a lot of moisture out the exhaust, did you notice.... Smell flooded?

3. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Does this engine have a distributor?
    I think that the ones without a distributor have 2 coil packs maybe one went bad.
    if it's backfiring usually means that it is running lean (not enough fuel) it will also backfire (or kick back) if the timing is off.
    if it is a throttle body injection system you should see the fuel spray (pulse) out of the injector in a nice cone shape (not dripping) if you take off the air cleaner cover and watch while someone else cranks the engine over (be careful with this one if it is backfiring up the throttlebody, sometimes they catch on fire with the air cleaner off).
    Maybe flash a timing light on it while someone else cranks the engine over to see if the timing is off.
    If you have spark you should have fuel because the module controls both (the module should be fine).
    The egr does not (is not supposed to) be on unless you are warmed up so unless it's stuck in i don't think it would be the cause.
    I'm thinking timing, bad fuel, or worst case plugged exhaust (restriction)

4. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

It would be my bet that the coil pack is bad...Rob

5. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Simple tests. Basics first. Does it have sparks? If it does, spray some carb cleaner in the throttle body when cranking and see if it trys to start. Post results after testing. Throwing parts like ignition coils and modules at it are not a very cost effective way of diagnoising and fixing your problem.

6. plummermark2002

plummermark2002 Member

1993 cavalier no start

I GUESS I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT MY CAR IS MULTIPORT INJECTED, IT DOESN'T HAVE A THROTTLE BODY,I DID CHECK THE PLUGS AND WIRES AND IT IS GETTING FIRE, IT IS TRYING REAL HARD TO TURN OVER, BUT IT HASN'T. PLUMMERMARK2002!

7. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Although your car is multi port fuel injection it still has a throttle body. remove the duct work from the air filter to the throttle body. The throttle body is the part the throttle cable connects to. Spray some carb cleaner in there while someone cranks the engine. See if it trys to start. I will try to help you figure out what is wrong. Post results.

8. plummermark2002

plummermark2002 Member

1993 CAVALIER NO START!

I SPRAYED CARB CLEANER IN THEIR AND YES IT TRYED TO START, BUT DID NOT, NOW WHAT? I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP WITH THIS, I AM BAFFLED. PLUMMER MARK2002!

9. JMR

JMR Senior Member

We have know narrowed it down to a fuel related problem. Do you own a test lite? Does the check engine lite on the dash come on when the key is in the ON position? With a test lite, check for a flashing lite across the terminals of one of the injectors when the engine is cranking. Does the lite pulse when the engine is cranking? Use a paper clip to get a good connection on one side of the injector connector, the other side use the pointed end of the test lite. Post results.

10. plummermark2002

plummermark2002 Member

MY CAR HAS MULITPORT INJECTION, TO SEE THE INJECTORS FIRE I WILL HAVE TO PULL THE FUEL RAIL AND THE PLENUM, I ALSO DISCOVERED THAT I HAVE A PLUG WIRE THAT IS ARCING PRETTY GOOD I LOOKED UNDER THE HOOD WHEN IT WAS DARK IT WAS LIT UP LIKE A CHRISTMAS TREE. COULD THE ARCING WIRE CAUSE THE MODULE TO FRY OR THE COIL OR BOTH? PLUMMERMARK2002!!!

11. JMR

JMR Senior Member

A new set of plug wires may be in order, but we have narrowed the no start problem down to being fuel related. Throwing parts at your problem is not a cost effective way to solve your problem. To check for injector pulse you need to unplug one of the four injectors to test for pulse across the two wires of that injector plug. You don't need to remove the injector itself. If you have injector pulse the next thing would be fuel pressure or lack there of.

12. plummermark2002

plummermark2002 Member

THE PLUG WIRES ARE NEW, THE PARTS STORE GAVE ME THE WRONG WIRES AND THE BOOTS ARE TOO LONG, THAT IS WHY THE WIRE WAS ARCING THE PLUG WAS EXPOSED, BUT I HAVE FIXED THAT PROBLEM.SO NOW I WILL CHECK FOR PULSING FROM THE INJECTORS! WILL KEEP YOU POSTED! PLUMMERMARK2002!!

13. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I do not believe in coincidence. Did your troubles start after you changed the wires? Wrong set you say? When you corrected the wires did you change one at a time. Perhaps you have mixed up the firing order? Perhaps you still have the wrong set?

14. plummermark2002

plummermark2002 Member

ACTUALLY MY TROUBLE DIDN'T START UNTILL WE HAD ELEVEN INCHES OF SNOW FALL ON US WHICH WOULD HAVE BEEN AFTER I CHANGED THE WIRES.I WAS DRIVING IN THE SNOW WHICH WAS UP TO THE BOTTOM OF MY CAR AND IT STARTED RUNNING REAL RUFF AND STARTING HARD,AND USING ALOT MORE GAS THEN USUAL AND I PARKED IT OVER NIGHT AND THE NEXT MORNING IT WOULDN'T START. PLUMMERMARK!

15. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Have you cleared the snow from the underside of the car?
    Maybe you are shorting out an electrical connection.
    Or possibly unplugged the fuel pump harness at some point underneath the car.

16. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Deep snow? Using more gas? Check gas line. 93 might be rusty, and you hit clump of snow and broke line.

17. plummermark2002

plummermark2002 Member

I USED A NOID LIGHT AND CHECKED THE INJECTORS FOR A PULSE THERE WAS NONE, NOW I AM ASSUMING THAT THE PROBLEM IS IN THE ECM. IF IT IS DO I HAVE TO REPLACE WITH THE EXACT ONE OR ARE OTHER YEARS COMPATIABLE?PLUMMERMARK2002!

18. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

This could be a long shot but make sure you check you fuses....Rob

19. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

No pulse but yet you have spark
    I thought that the ignition module did both functions.
    Make sure you have fuel pressure there should be a schrader fitting (like a tire valve stem) on the fuel rail. cycle the key a few times then depress the valve fuel should come out under pressure not just a dribble.
    Sometimes those noid lights are pretty hard to see flashing.

20. JMR

JMR Senior Member

If you are sure that the noid lite does NOT pulse when the engine is cranked and you have spark, it is time to check basic computer operation. Does the check engine lite come on when the key is on, engine off? If yes, check the grey wire to the TPS for 5 volts. If it has 5 volts the computer is powered up. Post results of this test.