1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1993 6.5l turbo diesel XXX HELP XXX

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DAFFMOBILEWASH, Dec 1, 2007.

1. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Had a 6.5l blow up today. One of the drivers said it was like someone turned off the key. Not sure about a bang or what?? All I know is the snow is comming and the motor is siezed.

Any hunches or quick fixes??? I think someone didn't keep an eye on the oil level because the oil smells burnt but it is in the normal operating range. If the engine ran out of oil, typically in the 6.5 do they gernade or melt. Thought about letting the engine soak in Diesel. Personally I think i'm putting a motor in the old girl.

Don't have a lot of time tring to put the finishing touched on the Dodge. Got it through the Safty and E test now to insall the plow mount that has been sitting in the bed for the last week. At least the wiring is done. Only bad thing is I haven't put alot of miles on the truck if it makes it through this storm it will be a keeper.

DAFF

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If no "bang", sounds exactly like the PMD or FSD (same thing, just different name). They are notorious for that and are expensive to replace with the original equipment. You can get an aftermarket which is MUCH improved over the original (and less expensive) and save the two hour labor charge by doing it yourself. Very easy mod and can be done in ten minutes.

Your truck may start with some tries. But, if that's what it is, the FSD is going. It will strand you.

This is a good source: http://www.ssdieselsupply.com/photo_gallery.html There' s an ad for the FSD in the upper right corner of the page. If I can do it with my arthritic hands, anyone can. Basically just plug it in, bolt it on the intake manifold, leave the old on where it is and go.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  3. Danhoe

Danhoe Senior Member

If you can post some more info I might be able to help you. My 95 broke a crank this year and destroyed the block. I had fuel pump problems with it before, if it just quit it sounds like a sensor in the fuel pump, I now have a extra black box under the seat. Give me some more info, I even have a extra fuel pump, not bad to change. I will be gone a few hours this morning but will check back.

4. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

93 is still a mechanical pump I think so no FSD box. Look at the oil cooler lines maybe one let go and it ran dry. It happens.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Maybe not. I just looked and it says they're for '94 to 2000.

(2nd edit)
    Saw Joe D's response after I put this up originally.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  6. Danhoe

Danhoe Senior Member

You need a fuel pump, by the sound of it, there is a disc in the pump that reads the color of the fuel and then decides what to do with it. I put a new black box on it and that did not help when I put a fuel pump on it that took care of it. If you still have the gray cover over the intake manifold take that off, that holds alot of heat in and that is not good. I will check back later to see if you have found anything else out.

7. michdeere

michdeere Member

You stated the motor was seized?? Will it crank or is it actually "stuck"? If it's set up tight, I don't think a fuel pump will help.

8. Danhoe

Danhoe Senior Member

Sorry I did not see the motor seized part of the post, he need's to give us more info, so we can help him. When my pump was going it was driving me crazy it would quit then start up again no matter what I was doing. When the crank broke, I was coasting down the road at a idle, the engine had 189,000 miles on it. I wanted to put a duramax in it but the computer system would have been a big problem. This truck with just my tools weighs in at 12,7500 lbs it is a 1995 K3500 dual wheel, mimumin miles per day is 125 miles.

9. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Yep sized solid. Put a tow stap on her pulling it 50km/h popped the clutch and the back tires bounced. Think something happened to the oil. Just checked it 5 days ago seemed to be OK. Today the pan is dry and smells burnt. The actuall dipstck has a film of black crust on it. I'm thinking its time to part it out. Nice truck but the 5speed trans isn't the best for plowing and the body is looking a little soft in the typicial chev places. Will keep my eyes out for a smacked up truck or something to make 2 into 1.

10. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Id say its junk,we had one on the farm do the same thing 93 gmc 6.5

I think it put a hole it the block,not sure if it made any noise when it went,i wasnt driving it.We just parked it out back,hard to find a good used 6.5 and a new one is worth more than the truck.

Hey good thing you didnt go spend big bucks on that new fuel tank...lol. Same truck right?

Good luck with it.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  11. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Good catch there stangman. Yep the truck blew up 2 miles from the gas station too. It was running on E. The only bad thing is all the coin invested in the front end/ tires and rest of the truck. Think im going to look for a international or another older L series Ford. Personally I think alot of the problem with the truck was the water it hauled. Normally 2-3000 gal per day. The live weight really takes its toll. It had a 800gal poy tank on it!!!

DAFF

12. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Those International 444E Lo Pro's are real good trucks. My uncle has one, and put a mini roll off system on it as well. That truck has plenty of power and isnt too big for some places. Sorry to hear about the 3500, and good luck with finding another truck:waving:

13. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Not to be argumentative, but I used to drive a lot of 90s International 4700s with either the 444E or the 466. IMO the 444 is a dog, I'd stay far away from them. The 466 has lots of power, but once you load that 444 down with some weight you wont like it. For example, I was driving a 4700 carrier one day empty, followed a guy with an identical truck only with a 466. I couldn't hang with him at all from a standing start up to highway speed and beyond. Sad part was he had a car on the deck and a car on the wheel lift. So he was carrying close to 8k probably and I had nothing.
    I hate 444s.