1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1993 / 2003 HD Chevy

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by greymare89, Sep 16, 2011.

1. greymare89

greymare89 Member

Hi guys, brand new to the site. I've been reading for days now and have seen plenty of posts very similar to my question just none that are dead on. I have a 2003 Chevy 2500HD and have the oppurtunity to buy a 7'6 unimount pro plow off a 1993 Chevy 1500 that is in decent shape. I know I need a new mount, I'm just wondering if the light harness, plow control etc will match up. Joystick control, wires and hydros all seem to be in good shape. I've read the light harness depends on the lamp style, but I have no idea which style is on eiether truck. I took a look at one of the two plugs on the truck and it had 12 individuals slots, not sure if that means anything..... Anyway I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse since I've seen a ton of similar posts but any help would be huge!!! Thanks again.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The trick is going to be finding unimount truck side mounting hardware. As I understand you can buy these mounts in pieces from Western but you have to weld them together yourself, not a big deal if you can weld or have a friend who dan do it. The wires are the least of your problems as long as you don't mind spending money. You may need to convert the plow to a three wire system if you have the two wire on it now. (the old two wire had one wire for switched pump motor power and a second that combined the lights and controls) The later three wire system uses one for lights, one for controls and a third for the switched pump motor power.

Figuring out what kind of headlamps you have is easy, Sealed beams have the bulb type written on the lens on the outside; it will say2B, HB1,B3, HB5 etc. If it isn't a sealed beam you can remove one of the bulbs and read it right on the side of the base of the blulb, on the plastic portion, not on the glass.

At our shop when people want us to mount an old unimount plow the sales reps usually try to sell them ultramount vehicle side mount hardware with an ultra to unimount adapter. The advantage of this is that when you finally retire the old unimount and upgrade to an ultra you already have the hardware. The problem with the adapter is that they are very low to the ground and push the plow out further in front of the truck. This puts more weight on the front suspension.

I suggest you go to the buy & sell section of this site and post a request for a used unimount mount for your vehicle. It would be cheaper than buying new & welding it up. Once you have that then talk to your nearest Western dealer about getting the wiring & isolation module.

3. greymare89

greymare89 Member

Thanks mishnick for such a fast reply!!! So pretty much I definetly need a new harness right? I have a friend who has a decent amount of experience with electrical and has rigged numerous plows so he may be able to hardwire the whole set up, just don't want to rig anything:eek: In your opinion how much can i use over from the 1993 to my 2003? How much, not including the truck mount, would the cost be to get the plow up and running if I need to replace certain items? Like I said before all wires and hydros aeem to be in great shape so they shouldn't need to be replaced. Thanks again

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If you have all the original wiring from the truck it came off of you might be able to make it work... that is if your friend has the skill and knowledge to modify the old wiring. The signals and marker lamps are simple as you just cut & splice in but the headlamps are more complex. If the old and the new have single headlamps it could work but if one has singles and the other has dual headlamps then it is problematic. The old vehicle may have had relays rather than isolation module too. Still, they can be made to work if your friend has the patience. To better help I would need to know more about the old wiring you have. Are there three plugs or two? Are there a bunch of little black cube shaped relays or a single larger black box with three or four larger plugs on one side? Do you have the main pump motor relay? (it looks like an old Ford starter motor relay with two large lugs & two small ones.)

Beyond this the question is, if you have to pay your friend for his time it may not be worth adapting things. You would spend a lot of money and end up with a old, modified wiring nightmare that no one but your friend can help you with. When you are on the side of the road in the middle of the night it would be nice to have a complete and unmodified system so that the gang here on the plow site can help you out with it. I (and many others on here) have access to all the schematics so we could help you troubleshoot but only if you have an original Western system. I would at least get a quote on what you need to rig up with an isolation module & new wiring so you can make and educated decision. In my experience is it not unusual for a guy to pay $1,500 for parts and labor to do a conversion like this. I would expect new parts to run around $1000 if you buy all new parts. But talk to a dealer and at least ask. I am an installer not a salesperson so I don't have the prices in my head.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You won't get a Uni on an '03-up truck for under $1500, unless it's a hack job.

6. greymare89

greymare89 Member

Ok thanks again for the replies, I figured 2 grand or so to get the plow up and going... still a better deal than a brand new one, especially since I only plan on plowing a handful of driveways. Like I said the last thing I want is a piece of junk that crapped out at 2am in the middle of a blizzard.