1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1992 Yukon 4WD not working

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by WetChicken, Jan 17, 2007.

1. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

Well, it worked the other day and wasn't functioning today. I am thinking something is froze up from the ice storm, but I would like some ideas of what else it could be.
    Yes, I haven't crawled under it yet, I haven't had the chance and it's really effing cold out now and I am afraid of the dark.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i bet its the thermal actuator on the diff to activate the slide fork to lock in the pass side axle. vary vary comon problem.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Ditto that.

Replaced the one on my GMC last year.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Be sure and check the wiring very closely on the axle tube going to the actuator while your under there too. They have a nasty habit of collecting some sizable "ice ball's" on the wiring where it hang's down behind the axle tube.The weight of the ice will pull the wire's out of the weather pack connector. You can check to make sure the actuater is getting 12V by disconnecting the weather pack,turning the ignition on and pulling the T-case into 4WD, take a test light and probe the pin for the blue wire (on the truck side of course) you should have 12V on that blue wire.If you do check the other wire in the connector and see if it has ground.It should.If your power and ground check out OK,then your actuator is bad.
  5. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

triple that, I did 3 in my 94!
  6. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

I have been putting it off, but I suppose I should do this before it snows.

Does this make any sense or am I off my rocker?
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Brother inlaws >Brother had 2 go out on plow trucks in a week.
    Well if you don't do it before it snows you will be lying in the snow trying to fix it.